Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm looking for lower gears for my 2wd 6spd (something around 3.08 or so) Where can I get these and also how do I tell If I have a 10.5 or 10.25?

My truck is a 1999.5 f250 2wd 6spd Long bed extended cab

Thanks in advance

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
Hey guys I'm looking for lower gears for my 2wd 6spd (something around 3.08 or so) Where can I get these and also how do I tell If I have a 10.5 or 10.25?

My truck is a 1999.5 f250 2wd 6spd Long bed extended cab

Thanks in advance
The 10.25 is on the pre-97 trucks

The 10.5 came with the early 99+F250-F350 SRW

The F350 Superduty Duallys came with the Dana 80

By lower gears you really mean higher gears. A set of 3.55s would be considered a "high gear" a set of 4.10s would be considered a set of "low gears". Dave has a set of 3.08s in his truck with the 6sp & withy a few mods to the truck likes them alot. If you have alot of trailers to pull though I don't know if I'd go much higher than 3.55s though.

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
I was thinkin somethin a little higher than the 4.10 here, for fuel mileage. maybe 3.73 ur somethin?

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
I was thinkin somethin a little higher than the 4.10 here, for gas mileage. maybe 3.73 ur somethin?
You mean "FUEL MILEAGE", if your running gas in there I'm going to worry. :poke:
For what you do on the highway a set of 3.73s might be perfect. I know my buddys truck got about 19mpg on a 2wd Superduty with 3.73s going about 70 most of the time. You won't loose much power for pulling a trailer(s) either. I've debated about that on my truck but I would need to do front & rear since it's a 4x4. :(
Your's would just be the rear & alot easier.

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
You mean "FUEL MILEAGE", if your running gas in there I'm going to worry. :poke:
For what you do on the highway a set of 3.73s might be perfect. I know my buddys truck got about 19mpg on a 2wd Superduty with 3.73s going about 70 most of the time. You won't loose much power for pulling a trailer(s) either. I've debated about that on my truck but I would need to do front & rear since it's a 4x4. :(
Your's would just be the rear & alot easier.
Yeah, any idea on the cost for a set of rear gears?
For DIESEL mileage

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
Not sure about cost, you'll need to find a set for a 99 Ford Dana 80. They make em, hopefully someone else chimes in here with where to find (& who makes) a good set of gears.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was browsing through a 4wheel parts catalog and found some for the 10.25 but nothing for 10.5... Dave pulls 10k lbs with his 3.08 I won't be pulling that much. Also I tend to drive 80 mph which is high rpms in my current 3.73 (I think that is what mine has because of 70mph at 2000 rpm with stock tires).

I didnt see any site sponsors with gears. I will keep looking and update if I find anything.

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
I was browsing through a 4wheel parts catalog and found some for the 10.25 but nothing for 10.5... Dave pulls 10k lbs with his 3.08 I won't be pulling that much. Also I tend to drive 80 mph which is high rpms in my current 3.73 (I think that is what mine has because of 70mph at 2000 rpm with stock tires).

I didnt see any site sponsors with gears. I will keep looking and update if I find anything.
Yep you have 3.73 in your F250. Since you have the bone shaker you can get away with the 3.08s alot better than us auto guys can. Since you arn't going to be pulling anything heavy with it & most of your driving is on the Highway I'd say try a set of 3.08s & see how it goes. Go for a intake, exhaust & a mild chip from DP Tuner & I think you'll like the results.
Hopefully one of the other members with more knowledge on ring & pinion will chime in & say if the 10.25 will work in the 10.5 axle. I know the lockers & limited slips interchange.

I think I'd check here for diffrent gears.

http://www.ringpinion.com/PartsList.aspx?SearchMode=Diff&TypeID=4&Type=Ford&DiffID=25&DiffName=Ford+10.5&CatID=10&CatName=Rings+%26+Pinions&CatType=Sub-Differential

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
What do you think of 3.73's in mine? good or bad idea

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
What do you think of 3.73's in mine? good or bad idea
For what you do with your truck, I'd do it. You should have enough power to pull all of those trailers & still get good MPG. 4.10s are alright on the street or if your pulling a large load but on the highway your spinning alot of RPMs. You can also get away with higher gearing on your truck more than most of us can since you have a 6sp stick shift. I know 3.73 is a good all around gear & it works good in the Superdutys.

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
I'm likin the idea

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
10.25 ring and pinion works if you change the bearings to the 10.25 or atleast that is what i heard

1 - 15 of 15 Posts