Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have been chasing a hard start issue, If the Temp is below -10 c.
I was checking my Hpop level and when left overnight the hpop level was 1 3/4 - 2 inches below the top of the hpop.

Also when using the Hpop health check for AE i found at idle

Injector Ctrl Pres DC - 6 to 7
Fuel injector pulse width - .29

is there a reason the numbers are this low
the test was done in the drieway with oil temps around 80 degrees

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glow plugs all check ok, I have ...

Ran AE glow plug test
tested relay
check Valve cover clips
ohms tested glow plugs all are reading around 1 ohm of resistance
I am running Beru glow plugs

·
Registered
74 Posts
Describe "hard start" for us. It should help get you a more accurate diagnosis. Also, when you cold start next, monitor Injection Control Pressure and Injection Control Pressure Duty Cycle.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Did you test the volts on your GPR or just use a test light, if just a test light check the voltage that it is getting across.

Also since you have AE you should monitor the ICP, IPR Duty Cycle and Engine RPM. As long as you have good fuel pressure the other two needed items are 500 icp and 100 rpm while cranking.

How does truck run once started, low on power, smoke while cranking, better when pluggged in. as Duck Fan mentioned need more description of the hard start.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If engine is plugged in, it starts better, i do get some smoke when starting (white) ...

My cold start is a long crank where sometimes it will catch for a second then shut right off ( I have to keep foot on pedal (1/4 throttle) to get it to keep running then it chugs for about 15 seconds)

After it starts, it runs fine. A little loss of power until it is warmed up though.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If you don't have a volt meter to check the glow plug relay:

Tomorrow morning when you go to start it, pop the hood first and make sure you have access to the glow plug relay. There are 2 relays on the pass side head. Its the rear one of the two. Turn the key in the ignition to run. Then, using a screwdriver or something with an insulated handle, bridge the two large posts on the glow plug relay. Hold it there for 25 seconds or so. Then try to start it. Post your results.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have 450,000 kms on engine/Injectors
Voltage is 12v across relay

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I also found that I have an oil leak as well, could the leak cause a hard start?

280,000 miles

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am thinking the same is there any way i can confirm this? i am about to do a cold start amd i will montior my AE and see what happens

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have Done a monitored cold start and also ran a cylinder contribution test and recieved the codes:
P0263
P0284

I also got a P1211 after running a WOT test.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The images are my AE at different points, From left to right

Idle after smoke cleared
Just after start ( plugged in for 1hr before it would fire)
High Idle
idle after engine is Warm

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Guessing it is my injectors

1 - 16 of 16 Posts