Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 07 F350 that has a strange noise only when slowing down, it has a growling noise from the front of the truck it seemed to start after the hubs where locked in. I unlocked the hubs, now it happens all the time when slowing down and now there is a slight vibration when braking along with the noise.
Any ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have a 07 F350 that has a strange noise only when slowing down, it has a growling noise from the front of the truck it seemed to start after the hubs where locked in. I unlocked the hubs, now it happens all the time when slowing down and now there is a slight vibration when braking along with the noise.
Any ideas?

Does it make the same noise when you're stopped? Do you have to be moving?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
Only when moving, when slowing from speed.

Just a thought..
Remove the locking hubs and take it for another spin. My hubs were noisy as well. I discovered that they were not completely disengaged so I added some grease and got them working again. I also discovered that I had swapped them left to right. I placed them back and they were much quieter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dumb question, I can drive with hubs removed? I will try it I was thinking hub or front bearing issue.
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yes. Not a problem. Just don't do it in the rain. I don't think it would be good to get a bunch of water in there..

·
Registered
113 Posts
If growling continues, would suspect hib bearings.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Removed locking hubs and drove it still howls I replaced hub bearing and found inner brake pad worn to the metal, replaced brake pads, drove still low roaring noise when decelerating around 40 mph and slight vib more intense when braking. Do you think this could all be caused by a warped rotor? Gonna change rotors next, just cause. Sound and vib feels like it’s coming from driver front, and that was the one with worn brake pads.

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've seen warped rotors cause a steering wheel shimmy when applying brakes. Not a growling noise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I replaced the left hub found the brakes where worn down to the metal I’m replacing the brakes and rotors now.

How much play should be in the drive line at rear end?

Thanks mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok replaced front brakes rotors and calipers and hub bearings, still have a vibration and growl when decelerating argh, its a little different but still there intermittently. Could it be a u joint or carrier bearing or something in the rear diff. Everything seems tight. I’m going to bleed and flush the entire brake system next.

Thanks for any ideas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts