Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently bought a used '99 F20 CC 4x4 showing 410,000 on the clock. Fixed a few leaks here and there, PS and water pump, HPOP & fuel bowl O rings - nothing major.

Installed a 14" cone filter onto the stock intake boot and removed the factory air cover along with a 4" turbo back exhaust system. I have a TS 6 position chip - stock, high idle, 50, 75, 100 and 140 and I average 15 MPG with 50/50 highway (70-75 mph) and stop and go traffic.

Installed trans temp, boost and pyrometer gauges yesterday and on the stock tune setting I'm seeing 10 to maybe 12 psi of boost (teed into the MAP line) and a max of 16 psi on the 100 and 140 hp settings. At that boost level I saw EGT just touching 1500 which seems a bit high to me for that amount of boost.

Re-checked all the boot connections under hood, nothing loose or blown off. Pulled the intake off the turbo and found that the intake wheel side of the shaft has a good bit of radial play, axial play seems very slight but I didn't try to setup a dail caliper to see what it was. Looking at the vanes on the compressor wheel it appears that they have been contacting the housing, haven't looked at the exhaust side but I did make sure the up pipe clamp was torqued also.

Having said all that, I've read that stock boost should be in the 17 psi range and tuned should see 24-26+ psi so it appears that a new turbo is needed. I got the truck to DD and on occasion pull my F150 race truck to the track and I'm not looking to break the bank on a turbo - thinking a new or reman stock unit. Question is where to get one from that is reputable and will balance the shaft during assembly so that it will last.

I am already satisfied with how the truck runs and pulls and I'm not going to change to oversize injectors, bigger HPOP or any other extremes to gain more power. I have not removed and tried to clean the intercooler either, just don't think it's clogged.

Long first post I know but all help is appreciated.

·
Registered
743 Posts
If all you want is a stock turbo, I would just get a good used stock one and put a ww on it. I just sold my stock one that was in good shape for $125

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you change the compressor wheel how do you ensure it's still balanced?

·
Subject Matter Expert
4,458 Posts
You aren't ensured, lol. Its been done thousands of times without any/many directly related failures. My bet is your exhaust up pipes from the manifolds leading to the turbo are shot with that many miles they have probably been replaced before and are worn out again. Look up around the transmission to see how much soot is around the joint at the top of the pipe. Also check the hard steel line that connects to the front of the passenger side manifold.. it is most likely plugged up or rused through.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No soot anywhere except for the small amount at the inlet clamp I mentioned. I will check the line on the passenger side you mentioned to see if it's clogged, I know it's not rusted through though.

Thanks for the pointers and info.

·
< pissed off pumkin.
1,880 Posts
If all you want is a stock turbo, I would just get a good used stock one and put a ww on it. I just sold my stock one that was in good shape for $125
I,ll have a stock one for sale soon as I figure out what I,m doing with mine. Has about 75,000 on it since it was last rebuilt ( by me ) . I just got 25 26 lbs today in my 140 tune so I know its making good boost.

Dan

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How soon and what will you be asking? I'm looking at ordering all the internals to rebuild mine next week.

·
< pissed off pumkin.
1,880 Posts
Wont be that soon, i,m thinking 300, but I might me off on that. I may just co the cheep route and do the same thing to mine. it doesnt need rebuilt, but for what the kit cost mise well do it while I,m changing things around on it. DOnt like the WW, so i,m gonna go back to a stoock wheel and change to a ATS housing. Thats if I dont just go with a 38r instead, kinda on the fence with this one, LOL.

Dan

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hear ya, for what I want it to do a properly working stock one will do just fine.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
First, is it an early or late 99?. e99 already has the ww. But turbo is smaller. If it's late put a ported housing on when you rebuild it.

I have an e99 and stock turbo and see 22-23 psi in my 40 or 60 tow tune.

Just noticed the pic, looks like a late if that's the truck we are talking about.

·
< pissed off pumkin.
1,880 Posts
I would say its a late judging by the door emblems. I,m going to rebuild mine go with a ATS and stock wheel this time around. I never liked the drop in performance over the stock wheel, though it fix the surge problem. going non waste gate too with a 1.15 housing on the turbine side.

Dan

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Turbo has 5 bolts on the comp housing among other things that point to it being a 99.5, ASSuming it's the original turbo. Build date is 12/98, don't know the day. Everything on it appeared to be all original, airbox, exhaust, etc.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Closer inspections today revealed two problems.

1) The EBP tube is rusted through near the sensor, probably clogged too so that will be replaced soon.

2) The 4 bolts holding the exhaust housing onto the turbo center body were all loose, one was completely gone, two were backed all the way out and the last one was on it's way. I removed and disassembled the turbo and found that it was in VERY good condition. No damage/wear to either wheel, minimal shaft radial play and basically zero axial. I replaced the missing bolt, reassembled and installed the turbo. Once I replace the EBP tube with some new metal tube a test drive is in order to see if any improvement is seen.

·
< pissed off pumkin.
1,880 Posts
Sounds like a easy fix, thats allways a good deal.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
good fix.. 12/98 is a late one I think. I was told that early Dec was about the time. But the beginning of the late ones had some of the changes but not all. No real answer. It appears to be a work in progress. Mine is 8/98 so it's for sure an early one.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fixed it right up! Makes 16 on stock tune and 24 on the hotter tunes! EGT's are better now also. I can't wait to see what my fuel mileage does now.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Good!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts