Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
SC Ranch
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thought i had an ebpv causin problems but proved it wasnt that. I still have this loud sound that comes on at 3000 and gets louder if you push further into it... it also seems like i loose my top end power as well. But when you let off and it drops to say 2850 then the whistle disappears... and its all instant nothing like a gradual turbo whistle... Is this a intake leak or is there some blow off valve im not sure of. I know ive got my natural turbo whistle but this is different...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Probly the reason your loosin power is because your makin alot of boost(loud whistle) so your MAP sensor detects it and then defuels your truck to prevent damage.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Oops just re read your post....your probly still defueling. But that INSTANT whistle your talkin about is hard tellin. Can you explain in more detail ?

·
SC Ranch
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats what i thought... i just remembered tonight at the college i go to we just got a nice set of intake testers... im hoping i can find a way to test them... ill prolly change out the boots since one of them is oil soaked to hell...

·
SC Ranch
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it sounds kinda like an overspun wore out ball type bearing... but had 2 of my co-students ride with me and they said it sounds like leak...

·
SC Ranch
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
have you heard of the intake manifolds leaking or crackin out young? my pickup has 155000 on her and no major problems (vacuum pump has gone out and did injector rings){haha o ya and tore the driveline out!} this thing is acting like its computer controlled or there is something popping off to soon...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Anything could happen to it really dont matter if it has 3000 miles or 300,000 on it. What do you mean by computer controlled ? Because it is computer controlled lol

·
SC Ranch
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well since the sound kicks on at exactly right after the needle passes 3000 and if you back out of it then it kicks it off at 2850... its nothing sporadic... i was going to mess with the map sensor but then again do our OBS have map sensors? im at the house today and cant jump on alldata at school... after i get this noise figured out im gonna attack the fuel system and HPOP... my low end is disappearing and so are my MPGs.

·
Registered
797 Posts
If you aren't getting a CEL then I believe you can rule out a malfunction of the MAP sensor itself .

However, I agree that you may be hearing a leak from either the intake manifold boots or the turbo outlet collector o-ring. That would mean a boost loss, with resulting loss of power and fuel mileage. Or the rubber line that feeds the MAP sensor is off or cracked, not only giving a boost loss but also fooling the MAP sensor into thinking you had no boost (that likely would not set off a CEL).

You may also be hearing a vacuum leak, and your loss of power is coincident with other problems...like a leaking up-pipe donut, or any of a dozen other things.

·
SC Ranch
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ya i was thinking it maybe the damn vacuum pump again... its gone out twice but the first time was just loss of brakes completely and the second time the reman seized up... im gonna attack every hose in that damn compartment... ill get a chance to mess around with it next couple of days, granted no emergency repair calls come my way...

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
when you leak check the boot check around the plenums they are sealed with the gray goop, and may be leaking there too. how much boost are you making?

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Look for carbon deposits (from leaking) on your up pipe connections as well as exhaust manifold, where they bolt to the heads...not uncommon for the exhaust manifold bolts heads to break off especially on the driver's side at the back (nearest the firewall). There is also a small thin rubber o-ring seal that is between the turbo outlet and intake Y interface....

jrc

jrc

·
SC Ranch
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ya i dont have a boost gauge but its a noticeable difference.... im going to change out the boots cuz both of them are oil soaked... my rule is if you see them like that and suspect they might be a problem then change em out... so ill get them coming from ford since they are cheaper with a student discount. if that doesnt do it then id dunno... lol maybe ill be putting new intakes and a y pipe... but there is a lot of black buildup around the drivers side rubber boot...

·
Terminator Nation
5,121 Posts
Wash your boots with Simple Green and that will remove the oil. DishWasher detergent will do the same thing. It sounds like the clamp on one of your boots has slipped and the hose lifts from the boost and makes the whistling sound. It happened to me and that was the fix. Don't need to replace them unless they are torn.

·
SC Ranch
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i ordered a new set of them cuz a guy i work with said at 150K they change them out anyways to keep the engine clean... I dont mind spending a little on rubber pieces here and there...

·
SC Ranch
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
UGH! did the y-boots and guess what... still the stupid sound... at 3000 this sound starts as a whistle then starts sounding like a gushing of air... but there is a little air sound coming from the vaccum pump... has anyone had problem with them making sounds like that?

·
Registered
300 Posts
What's the intake wheel look like? Is it hitting the shroud at high rpm's?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts