Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone im new to powerstrokes but ive owned a 92 150 for about 5 years. i bought a 95 f250 powerstroke automatic from a kid i know who was trying to fix it. i got it for cheap it was leaking all over the place ive gotten all the leaks fixed. my main problem is there is a hell awful noise at idle. it sounds like the normal deisel noise is louder than it should with an added rattle, similar to a jar of bolts if i rev it in nuetral the sound goes away around 1000-1200 rpms. i took the acesory belt off to eliminate all of the pullies. when i put it in drive with my foot on the brake it becomes alittle quieter and as soon as i give it some throttle under load it shuts right up and the truck runs great sounds good. the noise comes back when it costs. the speedo doesn't work and the trans doesn't shift perfectly. it hesitates and shifts hard. I had my boss look at it hes a ase master tech he couldn't pin point the cause but thought the engine and the trans were good because they both function ok, i removed the inspection plate and im going to see if i can unbolt the torque conveter and see if i can find a crack in the flexplate. im lost when it comes to transmissions. any input is greatly appreciated sorrry for the super long post

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
:whs: will fix your shifting issues and your speedo. As for the rattle you are hearing you are headed down the right road but I don't think you can move the converter near enough to see a crack in the flywheel. They usually crack right around the bolt circle. A sure fire way to check but will leave you stuck if it is cracked is to pull the inspection cover and grab the flywheel and try to move it back and forth. If it is cracked bad it will most likely snap apart which means you will be pulling the trans.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
replaced the sensor, trans works great od light stopped blinking :D took two of the nuts off the converter and found they must have come loose in the past the holes in the flex plate are ob-longed and the threads on the studs are messed up :lame: looks like ill be pulling the trans this weekend and replacing the plate and converter.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Yep that'll make it rattle like crazy. If you are gonna have it out then I would highly recommend putting a billet converter in in place of the stock POS.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ive heard of using a 6.0 convert what would that do for me?

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Big improvement over stock converter. Not quite the same as a billet converter but much better than stock. So you know a billet converter can be had online for right around the same price as a 6.0 converter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think I am having the same problem. We are on vacation and have about 800 more miles to go. Is it ok to wait and get it fixed when I arrive to my destination or is this something I have to take care of now?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts