Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a f250 7.3 2000 and only when it is real cold after I give the truck over 10 minutes to warm up it makes a loud air rush sound from under the hood near the air vents while I drive. This happens only when I'm driving and when I'm cruising. If I hit the petal it will stop for temporary until I cruise at 1 speed again. When this air rush sound happens I feel a significant decrease in power. When it gets warmer outside this will never happen.

·
Registered
708 Posts
EXhaust back pressure valve. Perfectly normal. It does that to put a load on the motor to help it warm up. If you don't like it, unplug it when the truck is off.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will this go away with a higher temp thermostat? Like the 203deg

Also is this the same as the waste gate??

·
Registered
708 Posts
Will this go away with a higher temp thermostat? Like the 203deg

Also is this the same as the waste gate??
It's not the same as the wastegate, it's like a piston actuated plug on the turbo. 203 may help some, but not much. Unless it's sticking, the computer reads the ambient air temp along with oil temp, and if both conditions are satisfied, it closes the valve. It's not needed at all, a lot of guys either delete the ebpv or just unplug it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK are we talking about the little tube that comes up from the pas side of the header to the top front of the engine?

How does this affect MPG? Cause mine is ####.

·
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
2,347 Posts
OK are we talking about the little tube that comes up from the pas side of the header to the top front of the engine?

How does this affect MPG? Cause mine is ####.
no that's EBPS and yes it can make for ####y MPG if plugged with soot... at the base of the turbo you will see a sensor screwed into the pedestal..unplug that sensor and tie it up out of the way...start your truck and see if the sound stops.... the EBPV puts a load on the engine to help warm ups...I did not see any difference with mine deleted..

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have 164,000 miles on her and have owned it since NIB. :ford:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no that's EBPS and yes it can make for ####y MPG if plugged with soot... at the base of the turbo you will see a sensor screwed into the pedestal..unplug that sensor and tie it up out of the way...start your truck and see if the sound stops.... the EBPV puts a load on the engine to help warm ups...I did not see any difference with mine deleted..
I pulled that tube off and it was clean, but I put some degreaser through it then some brake cleaner then the air compressor to blow all that out. lol

I will find the sensor and give it a try the next time it happens.

·
03 F350 7.3L
220 Posts
I pulled that tube off and it was clean, but I put some degreaser through it then some brake cleaner then the air compressor to blow all that out. lol

I will find the sensor and give it a try the next time it happens.
The sensor was on top of the tube, right infront of the fuel filter, behind the belt.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
The sensor and plug that controls the ebpv are two different animals..
the sensor needs to be plugged in and is over the waterpump attached to the gear cover of the hpop.

the ebpv control plug is on the base of the turbo.

·
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
2,347 Posts
:whs:

The sensor was on top of the tube, right infront of the fuel filter, behind the belt.
that would be the exhaust back psi sensor (EBPS) .. it reads back PSI and feeds the info to the PCM

the sensor that activates the exhaust back psi valve (EBPV) is at the base of the turbo..

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank guys. Your help is appreciated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts