Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished up putting new injectors, hpop, turbo, and rr in my Ex last night and it seems to be taking a lot of cranking to get it to go. I know a fair amount is normal but when do you start thinking it is abnormal? I cranked about 8 times last night about 15 sec each. Charged the batteries over night and have done it 3 times this morning and still not starting. I pulled the sensor on the top of the drivers side head to let some air out of the oil also. The hpop res is full. I am getting good pressure on the fuel regulator too. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Ive had to crank 30-45+ seconds before, some trucks take more some less.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm way past that. I am only getting 40psi at the icp, by mechanical guage. Should the ipr be magentized from the outside when I turn the key on?

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
UVC harness still loose?

I say crank just a little more. If you can, hook a scanner up to it while you're doing it to check ipr% and Icp. My 99.5 took like 10 seconds total of cranking. It was pretty good. The E99 took forever. I didn't think I was ever going to get it to start.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
I'm way past that. I am only getting 40psi at the icp, by mechanical guage. Should the ipr be magentized from the outside when I turn the key on?
You could have rolled an injector O ring and cut it, that would certainly explain this.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've cranked it a lot already. I'm gonna say way past normal. Looks like a new ipr Monday I guess. I'm getting voltage to the plug but it's still not building pressure at the icp port, only 40psi after about 15 seconds of cranking.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shortbus, would the oring cause none of the injectors to fire?

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
pull the valve covers and stick a straight edge across all the injectors and make sure they are all seated the same before you spend money on an IPR.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I checked them with a straight edge when I put them in. Any other way to tell if I cut a ring besides pulling them? Anyone check to see if a screwdriver sticks to the ipr seleniod yet?

·
BrownBrothersPullingTeam
361 Posts
i done injectors,custom tunes,and upgraded computer in an e99 about 2 weeks ago, and it took me 2 days to get it to fire, it was the longest ive had on firing a truck after swapping injectors, and it turned out to be just that much air in the system, so good chance yours is air too

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
If all your injectors checked out with the straight edge, i think i'd pull the IPR and clean it. Then if that doesnt fix it pull the injectors and look at the O rings. If those are good I'd pull the hpop and swap on a known good one. I missed in your original post that you swapped hpops too.

edit- when your cranking unhook your glow plug relay, this will help save your batteries and allow your starter to get more power.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I checked all of the mentioned above. Pulled the ipr and checked for magnetism on the inside (I called a guy that does this for a living and we ran down a list of things to check). No go on the ipr so I have one coming. Should be here soon and I'll let everyone know.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SOB!!! Old ipr was definitely bad but the new one didn't fix the problem! Looks like I'll be pulling each lines off of the hpop one at a time to check to see if one side is leaking the pressure past the injectors. If it' not pumping out of the lines then the next thing to check is to make sure the pump is in right. Is it even possible to put it in wrong? If it's in right then my new pump ain't pumpin...

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
ive never heard of checking for magnetism on the end of the IPR. I suppose that if the PCM was commanding the IPR shut there would be enough magnetic field to attract a screw driver to the back side of it, but that would not tell you if the IPR were working or not. At this point i would be looking for another hpop to swap in. Unless Joey flow checked the pump before it left, there's a chance it could be the problem.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Worst case I will put my stock pump back in. That would be a little upsetting to say the least, to find out that the pump I just bought made it to my shop not woking.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
If you got the hpop from joey ask him, he has great cust support and i am sure has a few tricks to check. If it is a modded hpop not sure if it has check balls or not if it isnt that could be something. Could be something simple, pcm, idm, harness, chip in no start etc...

So you have fuel,fuel pressure, have a working cps, good charge on batteries,
Seems like oil would be the next thing to check, see what kind of pressure etc.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
If you got the hpop from joey ask him, he has great cust support and i am sure has a few tricks to check. If it is a modded hpop not sure if it has check balls or not if it isnt that could be something. Could be something simple, pcm, idm, harness, chip in no start etc...

So you have fuel,fuel pressure, have a working cps, good charge on batteries,
Seems like oil would be the next thing to check, see what kind of pressure etc.
Im sure with all these changes you had your chip reburnt??? If so, pull it out and try starting it then. Will the truck do a buzz test or any diagnostic scans? You could have fried your chip, pcm or both if you installed a new chip incorrectly. If no problem with the chip or pcm, then your down to pulling injectors and the hpop.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm big enought to admit when I f ed up. I was one step away from pulling the hpop and I decided to recheck the front bolt that presses it to the drive gear. Turns out it was about a half turn from tight. I should have tightened the rear bolts first and then torqued the front bolt. Something so simple was causing me to run in circles! I guess that's the way it goes sometimes...

Took less than 10 seconds to start after I fixed it.

After getting all the boots to stop blowing, I have to say I am very pleased with this setup! I haven't hooked to any of the trailers that I pull with it yet but I am sure I will love it even more then. I have only held it to 35psi so far and that is not WOT so I imagine it has a little more left in it. I'll start another thread thanking the vendors involved.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Very nice! Good to see you got it running!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts