Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help 1989 7.3 Non turbo IDI in a f450 new fuel tank and sending unit, new elec fuel pump and filter sep new glow plugs and controller, good compression truck will start and run with a shot of starting fluid but will not start on its own. Trying to figure out the problem. Could the injectors be bad figure if bad wouldn't run at all or not creating enough fuel pressure at start to go ahead and start on it own. but with start fluid it spins fast enough to start and run. I need help bad. Looking to get this truck running.

:frown::frown:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's my problem guys 89 7.3 non turbo IDI new fuel tank, pickup and sending unit new elec lift pump, new GP's and controller with good compression. Truck will start and run all day with a shot of starting fluid but with it no start. thoughts on bad injectors or bad IP.:frown::frown:

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Starting fluid with functioning glow plugs is a very bad idea.

Does it smoke at idle? Does it start ok when it's hot? Do you have any fuel leaks anywhere on the engine? How many times do you cycle the glow plugs? How cold is it? How many miles are on it?

Short answer is we need a little more info. I really don't suspect injection pump or injectors, even when worn they usually just smoke white has been my experience.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
8,334 Posts
if it starts and runs with starting fluid or with the block heater plugged in for two-three hours, the glow plug circuit is not working. do you get power to glow plugs when the wait to start light is on?
what brand glow plugs did you put in it? these engines only like motorcraft glow plugs, most other brands will burn out as soon as power is applied to them, especially the autolites most parts houses sell .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no smoke at idle, yes starts better when warmed up, complete new fuel system no leaks that I have seen, new motorcraft GP and new controller, don't mater how many times I cycle gp it still won't start. 60's 70's on outside temp cluster show around 160,000 miles or so. I've spent a bunch of money on it I feel I;m never getting back help help help

·
Registered
111 Posts
no smoke at idle, yes starts better when warmed up, complete new fuel system no leaks that I have seen, new motorcraft GP and new controller, don't mater how many times I cycle gp it still won't start. 60's 70's on outside temp cluster show around 160,000 miles or so. I've spent a bunch of money on it I feel I;m never getting back help help help
Even though you put new GPs and controller in you need to make sure with a test light and volt meter that you are getting power to the controller and power coming out when cycling.

·
Administrator
8,334 Posts
ok. how long does the wait to start light stay on with cold engine?
60-70 degrees outside temperature should give you about a 10 second wait to start light.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wait light stays on for 10 to 15 sec. then starts pulsing on and off I think that's its working correctly and I have good voltage and current to gp's

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I'm having thoughts about bad battery cables/ connections, or a weak starter, pending good compression of course. Have you load tested the batteries? Separately not hooked together.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thing is if they don't spin fast enough they are not going to start. Also have you made sure you are not getting air into the system that makes them really hard starting too.

·
Administrator
8,334 Posts
here are two videos. first is a bad starter at 70 degrees:

and here is a new starter at 40 degrees:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts