Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I walk out to my driveway and my 01 has a very small puddle of antifreeze under it I look the lower hose appears to actually rotted out everything is dry except the bottom of the hose no biggy I just replace it Now the past two days While ice cold I have checked the overflow tank and it is a little low not losing alot but I filled it to the max cold fill line and it is usually down around the min. line today it was right at it here are my thoughts as I do not appear to be mixing fluids nor was i losing coolant before the hose swap... one the moron that filled the system back up with coolant didnt pull the upper hose to try to avoid air pockets maybe i have air pockets (I've been working on cars and trucks my whole life I should no better right)??? or 2 im not seeing a leak somewhere on the lower hose that is leaking more when pressure builds? Or 3 which i am not even sure if it is possible maybe the overflow cap is bad and the coolant is seeping out while at operating temps? I havent done a pressure test which I know needs to be done but I figured i'd ask you guys any other ideas guys? its dark now but I'll dog it out the best I can tomorrow to make sure its not leaking on the new radiator hose somewhere and I might pick up a new cap just for safe measure but any suggestions or thoughts will only help thanks in advance

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Check res for cracks.some ppl have had issues there.
mine has a leak at the gasket...will have to do some checking.
Leaking at the weeep hole of the pully is a sign it is rr time.
the lower gooseneck has an oring that can leak, and the t stat housing.

Just a few areas to check.

·
Bobs 7.3
2,852 Posts
Mines a bit different but my coolant was pushing out the cap a very little for about 4 months and I kept adding a bit and adding a bit then one day i looked in the little seep hole in the bottle and saw a spot of red (elc coolant) and couldnt figure it out and only did it at high revvs like when pulling a long grade or getting on it good. New thermostat,water pump everything you could think of it still proceeded to loose a bit on high revs. My bottle had 3 surface scratches since I bought it 6 years ago in the front flat are right under the cap and one must have started seeping air as I caught a red line in the scratch but couldnt make it push fluidout so at wits ends I bought a new bottle and its never dropped from the full max when cold and never pushes anything out or even rises anymore anywhere near the cap. Glad it wasnt head gaskets. My point here start with the basics like a new cap and really check out that bottle for a crack or scratches even as over time of heating and cooling my scratch turned into a headache.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts