Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I recently purchased a 2004 F250 6.0 Diesel crew cab Larait with 200,000 km (approx 125,000 miles). My issue before buying it was that the coolant was a little below the min mark. I got the dealer to top it up. After about 15 minutes idling, I would get little heat to defrost the window. Only when i took it for a test drive did I start getting heat. The dealer's technician said he sees that a lot and it's most likely air trapped somewhere which is why there is little heat on idle. I have had this truck now for a week. I checked the coolant level today and it's well below the Min mark. I do get white smoke when i start but i live in canada, and the white smoke seems to dissipate after it's warmed up. The temperature gauge on the dash fluctuates between the "C" and approx 1/4 the way up. Did anyone else have this problem of have seen this before? if so, any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Please don't say the Head Gaskets? I have literally been having nightmares on that problem lol.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had the same issue minus the coolant loss. I changed the T stat and did a coolant flush and its back to normal. never heard of trapped air in these systems. but I would change the T stat and go from there.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I had the same issue minus the coolant loss. I changed the T stat and did a coolant flush and its back to normal. never heard of trapped air in these systems. but I would change the T stat and go from there.
Agreed. The T-stat is where you need to start.

·
Registered
186 Posts
You have to find out where the coolant is going.......could be egr cooler

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I plan on doing the egr delete in the spring when the weather warms up enough to work on it in my driveway. I only use the truck a couple times a week/when roads are bad. I cannot afford to drive it daily at 10 mpg :S

·
Registered
59 Posts
I plan on doing the egr delete in the spring when the weather warms up enough to work on it in my driveway. I only use the truck a couple times a week/when roads are bad. I cannot afford to drive it daily at 10 mpg :S

poor mileage is another indicator of T-stat issue. Truck will use more fuel if it isn't running at the proper temperature.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts