Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
IH Diesel Power
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my red wire on my wastegate unplugged for sometime now and i have a boost releif valve for my map sensor and without my chip i was pushing about 31 PSI at full throttle, now when im at full throttle i only push 24 psi stock and about 26 with a ts 140 hp chip at full throttle, could my wastegate be sticking open a lil bit or what are some possibilities? i checked all the intercooler tube boots and tightened um all up and i cant seem to find the problem, Its a stock turbo but Its only about 8 months old, i put a new one in it in july.

·
A Ghost these days...
2,434 Posts
I have had my red wire on my wastegate unplugged for sometime now and i have a boost releif valve for my map sensor and without my chip i was pushing about 31 PSI at full throttle, now when im at full throttle i only push 24 psi stock and about 26 with a ts 140 hp chip at full throttle, could my wastegate be sticking open a lil bit or what are some possibilities? i checked all the intercooler tube boots and tightened um all up and i cant seem to find the problem, Its a stock turbo but Its only about 8 months old, i put a new one in it in july.
If its the in-line kind that relieves excess pressure to the atmosphere, then that's where your loosing your boost. You can get one from ITP Diesel that works alot better. It only lets your map sensor see 22 psi without releasing the excess pressure.

·
Registered
14,569 Posts
If its the in-line kind that relieves excess pressure to the atmosphere, then that's where your loosing your boost. You can get one from ITP Diesel that works alot better. It only lets your map sensor see 22 psi without releasing the excess pressure.
That's not really true....

·
A Ghost these days...
2,434 Posts
That's not really true....
Im just saying, it could be there.

When we got this 02' it had one of those in-line boost relief valves. Wouldn't make over 20lbs of boost on the gauge. I pulled it off, it shot up to making around 25-27 with just a gearhead chip and an ATS Housing.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Could be the whole problem. Stock turbos are held down to 25 to 27 lbs for a reason.

·
A Ghost these days...
2,434 Posts
Also, reach your hand under there and get a feel of the wastegate actuator rod. See if it is loose, or has any play one way or the other.

·
Lovin Life...
2,900 Posts
Could be the whole problem. Stock turbos are held down to 25 to 27 lbs for a reason.
:whs: Have you checked shaft play? Notice any oil?

·
Need a ride.
553 Posts
I know continued 31 psi's on a stock turbo, you'll be shopping for another one.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
I cringe when I am getting on mine and see my pegged out 35lb gauge.

Any body want to buy a good stock turbo? Early 99 to boot.

·
IH Diesel Power
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
there is 151000 miles on the truck but like i said the turbo maybe has 20,000 and ive only had the red wire unplugged for like 2 months maybe, and i dont think its the BRV because before i installed the BRV i was pushing 27 stock and after i was pushing 31 stock and then one nite after hard acceleration from one stop light to another it just wont push anymore than 26 to 27 psi even with a 140 HP chip and it seem like its kinda lacking power and could use the extra boost. I need to look at the turbo, i think it is still under warranty, i might just need to step up. All i realy know is that when it was pushing 31 PSI stock, it had BALLS and now with the 140hp ts it might be doin a little better but not like it should

·
IH Diesel Power
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
O and its a stock 3.5 inch exhaust but its just straight piped

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Thats alot of PSI for a stock turbo. Mine runs 26 and I feel its maxed out.

Get that TS chip sent to one of the venders for better tuning and throw that ICP chip away.

·
IH Diesel Power
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ya one of my buddies truck will constantly hit 33 to 35 psi on his stock turbo with a ts chip with over 200,000 miles on it so idk what goin on with it yet, and im pretty happy with the TS for the most part but the torque kinda drops off at about 2700 RPMs and i wish it would stay strong at least past 3000 or to preferable to the redline so im probably gona go with Swamps her in a lil while

1 - 15 of 15 Posts