Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
peterbilt'in
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey

so i have a question that i cant find to much answers on just be patent!:doh:

fed'ex truck's... dam things sound like a 7.3 starting up at -15 with 15-40 oil..

is there any point to the lope unless you have some huge injectors that are just itching to get loose LOL

the "stupid teenager" in me wants to have a lope now and again... mostly when i leave it running and go get a coffee at dunkin's or something stupid
when i had the 10K resistor in there it gave it a bit of a lope.. so is this something i should experiment with on a switch for on and off since i have a f5 already. dont like the videos i have seen for there "loped idle"

any thoughts, or am i just beating on stuff that dont need to be beat any more:doh:

-Rob

·
Crazy wid da cheeze wiz
2,411 Posts
I know you don't want to switch tuning, but my lope tune from Bean's sounds awesome to me. I need to post a video up sometime.

·
Oooo, White Lightning !
2,921 Posts
Charles had a good point.

Having enough horsepower to cause a lope idle is cool

Paying for a tuning program to make it sound like it actually has power... not cool

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Lope idles to me are in the same category as smoke tunes For the kiddies.

To add to what was posted above me I believe that was they call being a poser. But of the two I would rather see someone get a lope tune as they do not end up drawing negative attention to the whole diesel performance community when these kids run around thinking its could to smoke out main street. So of the two have at your lope tune as its only effecting you.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

To add to what was posted above me I believe that was they call being a poser. But of the two I would rather see someone get a lope tune as they do not end up drawing negative attention to the whole diesel performance community when these kids run around thinking its could to smoke out main street. So of the two have at your lope tune as its only effecting you.
So lope idle doesn't do anything for your truck performance wise? It just makes it sound cool?

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Correct. It also is not something I would be driving around in. Just for idling IMO. Its a lope caused by a tune not becasue of huge injectors, radical cam, or P-pump.

·
Crazy wid da cheeze wiz
2,411 Posts
Correct. It also is not something I would be driving around in. Just for idling IMO. Its a lope caused by a tune not becasue of huge injectors, radical cam, or P-pump.
Yeah I don't think you are supposed to drive in it.

·
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
2,347 Posts
i know jody said loap tune is not a drive tune..its a idle tune..same goes with the drive though tune..its just that..a drive though..smoke tunes just gives too much fuel to drive around town in..i dont think its a drive tune ether..all a waste of $$$ as far as i can see...same goes with the decell tune...why would i want to keep hitting that little button every time i go down hill is beyond me..you want a decell...get a exhaust brake and have the tuner keep the TC locked in your tow tunes....

·
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
2,347 Posts
i know jody said lope tune is not a drive tune..its a idle tune..same goes with the drive though tune..its just that..a drive though..smoke tunes just gives too much fuel to drive around town in..i dont think its a drive tune ether..all a waste of $$$ as far as i can see...same goes with the decell tune...why would i want to keep hitting that little button every time i go down hill is beyond me..you want a decell...get a exhaust brake and have the tuner keep the TC locked in your tow tunes....

·
Registered
745 Posts
I have a lope tune I like it. Yeah I a poser but it is my truck and I realy like the lope of the high HP trucks. Do i pretend i have more than i do NO but it is cool to be able to make youre truck do diferent things for show purposes. I only have 4 positions and i could not think of any thing else i needed tune wise heck i would be lost with 6. What more do you need a driver a tow and an exstream so i see no harm in having a worthless tune.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
It depends on how the lope is accomplished.

Just for point of conversation, a lope tune can actually be made out of ANY tune from stock horsepower levels all the way to whatever sky-high tune is offered and can be made to only do it's thing at an idle and run like normal at anything above an idle.

·
Registered
745 Posts
It depends on how the lope is accomplished.

Just for point of conversation, a lope tune can actually be made out of ANY tune from stock horsepower levels all the way to whatever sky-high tune is offered and can be made to only do it's thing at an idle and run like normal at anything above an idle.
YEP i have one like that.

·
peterbilt'in
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Tarm, i can understand the Smoke tunes being a waist because yes that is only making every other diesel out here look bad because your being a tool. so is having the truck straight piped... my town cops dont have a problem with me and my truck being straight piped because when im driving around town im doing at max the speed limit, in no hurry to get there which keeps it semi quiet, a Lot more quiet then the dam fart cans! and im also ordering an full exhaust some times soon this week.

Lope on the other hand, yes if your making huge power it's going to happen. if somethings wrong... it's going to happen. im not running around thinking my trucks bad ass because i have a tuner and a straight pipe, truck hardly ever comes out of 80E or 60T. i was just wanting to have a little fun

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
dont thing any of the tunes are a waist, its your truck and what you want and how you use your tuner is your buisness.. what one person likes another may dislike.. its all a personal liking.. i have the lope tune and the smoke tune on my f-5.. hardly ever goes in the smoke tune, mine almost always stays in the 80e setting.. still i like having all the diffrent tunes at the push of a button.... just need to have mine updated by jody.....

·
Gone Broke
1,072 Posts
:whs: everybody is in title to their opinions. i think lope tunes are sweet. sure thats all there good for but every one has a dp tuner or 6 pos chip and i know everyone doesent use all 6 pos really. so if you want one its not a wasted tune.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
well lope idle may actually have a use.
my old isuzu npr had an idle adjustment knob that worked great, turn it to the right and it woould idle as high as you want, turn it left a few times and you could slow it way down, like count the cylinder firing down.
I used it to save fuel burn when idleing for a long time, so it actually had a point in thast respect.

Actually i wish the 7.3 had such a system , small simple mechanical vs
having multiple tunes, or my fancy aic module. The built in exhust brake the npr had worked well too.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
I agree about the lope tune as well as most others with the exception of smoke. The reason, all the others tunes only effect that driver and truck. You like a lope, go for it. What I was giving on those was my person opinion for me. Now smoke entirely different story. You have the same kind of wanting to look cool ( no real issue with that) but you are now pissing off any and every person when you use it in a populated area. Lets face it the reason people have them is to use them where others can see it and its not as if that is relegated to diesel events. Even bigger issue is that it draws law enforcement and legislative attention. Serious how many people that are getting smoke tunes are past say college age?

Could someone that possibly knows the details post what is being done in the tune to achieve a heavy lope idle?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts