Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 F250 6.0 , That's been to a couple different shops with no luck at all . First things was all my problems started after we switch the oil cooler . After that I kept getting a ICP code so I switched it and the pigtail as well . So then I started to notice when I left for work after about driving 5-10 miles it would fall flat on its face . No smoke at all or engine light . I could pull over turn the truck off for litterly 15 seconds . Start it right back up and it wouldn't act up again till the next morning . After a few days it kept getting worse till finally it just quit on the highway ,After letting it cool off some it made it home

I have tried the following Hot shot fuel treatment per directions
and a very small amount of hot shots stiction eliminator

Has any one had a similar problems
Speedometer Gauge Automotive design Vehicle Steering part
, IM really at a lost Picture shows my foot through the floor

·
Premium Member
99 & 00, F350s, manual and auto, Ext & Crew Cab, 4x2 & 4x4, need more room!
3,431 Posts
1. Get FORScan scanning software for Fords (free) and an OBDII reader.

2. DO NOT throw parts at it . . . if you must, then make them Motorcraft parts. 7.3s are quite particular about their sensors.

3. Come back with the codes. Lots and lots of smart people here!

Welcome to PSN!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1. Get FORScan scanning software for Fords (free) and an OBDII reader.

2. DO NOT throw parts at it . . . if you must, then make them Motorcraft parts. 7.3s are quite particular about their sensors.

3. Come back with the codes. Lots and lots of smart people here!

Welcome to PSN!
Yes its my buddys scanner from snap on , I forget the number nut it was a icp code 2285 I think he i remember right

·
Premium Member
3,431 Posts
P2285 Injector Control Pressure Sensor Circuit Low
OBD-II Trouble Code Technical Description Article by John Ingalls

This is a generic powertrain diagnostic trouble code (DTC) and applies to many OBD-II vehicles (1996-newer).Although generic, the exact repair steps may vary depending on year, make, model and powertrain configuration.

OBD-II trouble code P2285 and related ICP codes P2283, P2284, P2286, and P2287 are associated with the injector control pressure (ICP) sensor circuit. This circuit is normally monitored by the Power Control Module (PCM) on most vehicles.

The purpose of the injector control pressure sensor circuit is to provide a feedback signal to indicate fuel rail pressure so that the PCM can correct injector timing and the injection control pressure for proper fuel delivery at all speeds and varying load conditions. This process incorporates several components to accomplish, based on the vehicle and the fuel supply system configuration. Many modern diesel engines utilize an injector driver module (in conjunction with the PCM) to facilitate fuel and oil delivery to the injectors for each individual cylinder of the engine. When the PCM detects voltage or resistance that is lower than the expected range within the injector control pressure ICP sensor circuit, code P2285 will be set and the check engine light will be illuminated

Read more at: P2285 Injector Control Pressure Sensor Circuit Low
Copyright OBD-Codes.com

Code P2285 Ford Possible Causes
  • Faulty Injector Control Pressure (ICP) sensor
  • Injector Control Pressure (ICP) sensor harness is open or shorted
  • Injector Control Pressure (ICP) sensor circuit poor electrical connection

Read more: Code P2285 Ford: Injector Control Pressure Sensor Circuit Low (With Video)

Reactions: bismic1

·
Premium Member
3,431 Posts
I have a 2006 F250 6.0 , That's been to a couple different shops with no luck at all .
I am going to start at the beginning so I have this straight. You have taken it to a couple different shops with no luck. Why would you then go to your buddy's scanner?

First things was all my problems started after we switch the oil cooler.
You swapped the oil cooler - why?
Does the new one leak any?
Did you have to disconnect any wiring to get to it?

After that I kept getting a ICP code so I switched it and the pigtail as well .
The code refers to quite a lot. You switched out the ICP, but if there is a problem with the circuit serving it, you will still have that code. Why did you switch the pigtail? Was it broken?
So then I started to notice when I left for work after about driving 5-10 miles it would fall flat on its face . No smoke at all or engine light . I could pull over turn the truck off for litterly 15 seconds . Start it right back up and it wouldn't act up again till the next morning . After a few days it kept getting worse till finally it just quit on the highway ,After letting it cool off some it made it home
Since "all this" happened after you replaced the oil cooler, I would start with that. Did sealant get into a passage? Is the ICP really reporting the correct pressure? Is something wrong with the part you replaced? Trace back all the circuits that feed the ICP. FORScan could really be your friend in this.
Yes its my buddys scanner from snap on , I forget the number nut it was a icp code 2285 I think he i remember right
Ummmm . . . . see again my post above.

·
Premium Member
3,431 Posts
Yes.

Here is a YouTube video -- check the voltage of your sensor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The original oil cooler leaked, and I did borrow my buddies scanner cause he has 12k for a scanner and I don’t lol . Yes the pigtail had two loose connections
Just seems odd it pretty much shuts down after it warms up, maybe a voltage issue ? Im close to Dayton Ohio. There isn’t really any diesel shops around

·
"resident smarty pants"
5,491 Posts
If you want help on a 6.0L forum you need ForScan ($6 download and the adapter can be had as low as $35). Easy to learn. Folks here are pretty good at figuring things out when they have data.

Otherwise, wait for folks that like to guess.

Problems like you have going on can be caused by any one of a half dozen (or more) reasons. Could be electrical, could be in the high pressure oil system, could be fuel pressure or supply, etc.

·
"resident smarty pants"
5,491 Posts
ForScan Lite to a smartphone is $6.
The adapter can be as low as $40 or you can spend a WHOPPING $140 for the high end adapter. With a smartphone option you need to consider which platform when choosing an adapter (iOs or Android). I have found that the cheaper BAFX adpter work ok, but will say up front, if you run into issues, ForScan has dropped ELM32 support. I haven't experienced any problems.

ForScan Full Version on a Windows laptop is free. The OBD-USB connector is about $60

Both are ALL you need to troubleshoot a Ford Diesel. You do not need a $12k scan tool - period. We are trying to help, we do this a LOT.

You most likely have a leak in the high pressure oil system.

We need to see data on a hot engine.

KOEO:
ICP pressure, psi
ICP sensor voltage
IPR% duty cycle
MAP pressure, psia
EBP pressure, psia
Baro pressure, psia

Cranking:
cranking rpms
ICP pressure, psi
ICP sensor voltage
IPR% duty cycle
Cam/crank Sync
FICM Sync
Fuel (Injector) pulse width
FICM MPower
FICM LPower
FICM VPower
V-reference voltage

If you don't want to gather and post data, then start learning about air testing the high pressure oil system and be prepared to replace some injectors.

Fuel pressure is also VERY important, but Ford did not give us a sensor OR a gauge. They have to be add-on and some can get expensive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So it is still having problems when you drive, once it warms up, because it dies on you. And now you are getting the 2 fuel injector codes. But you resolved the p2285 code because you had a loose connection.

Are you having any problems starting it? Do you have to crank it a long time to start?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts