Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this site so I hope I'm doing this right. I have a 2004 F350 with the 6.0. I've just started smelling antifreeze when I'm pulling my camper. I can't find the leak and it's a very small leak for the most part. I did use a quater of a gallon on a 250 mile trip, very hilly and a heavy side wind. My question is, can you add air pressure to this tye of system to check for leaks and if yes, HOW?

·
It wasn't me
1,232 Posts
Welcome to PSN!

You need to do some diagnostics. Park you truck the the front down hill and let it cool off. the pull the EGR valve and see if it is wet. While it is out clean it. You should also use a quality scan tool and see what your EOT is in relation to ECT. They shouldn't be more than 15* difference.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to PSN!

You need to do some diagnostics. Park you truck the the front down hill and let it cool off. the pull the EGR valve and see if it is wet. While it is out clean it. You should also use a quality scan tool and see what your EOT is in relation to ECT. They shouldn't be more than 15* difference.
Thank you very much. I had someone tell me the same thing about the EGR valve. I'm still trying to find out how you pressurize these types of system to find leaks. Have you every done this?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure it is the EGR valve yet. It only leaks when I'm pulling my camper in a wind. I can smell the antifreeze but I just can't see it leaking anywhere. I thought maybe I'd check for a leaking hose or something; thats why I've been trying to figure out how to pressurize the system like when the caps were on the radiator. Wouldn't you see antifreze if the EGR was leaking? I don't know, this is my first diesel.

·
PSN Veteran
2,983 Posts
IIRC Ford can pressure check the system to make sure your head gaskets are still intact. Also any mods to the truck or is it bone stock? Any signs of coolant puke around the degass bottle?

·
< YOU WISH...
775 Posts
EGR cooler would leak under all circumstances. Leaking under a heavy load means 1 thing 99% of the time. Headgaskets. And you can pressure test 6.0's coolant system. I just used a 2" Fernco (rubber coupling with hose clamps for plumbing repairs.) and a PVC cap drilled and tapped to 1/4" NPT. Use a 1/4" tee for a gauge and a schrader valve to apply air pressure. Be careful because if it is gaskets you can force coolant into the cylinders and hydrolock the engine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IIRC Ford can pressure check the system to make sure your head gaskets are still intact. Also any mods to the truck or is it bone stock? Any signs of coolant puke around the degass bottle?
The truck is stock and I haven't been able to find anything looking like coolant anywhere. I'm going to see if I can put something togethewr to pressurize the system, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
EGR cooler would leak under all circumstances. Leaking under a heavy load means 1 thing 99% of the time. Headgaskets. And you can pressure test 6.0's coolant system. I just used a 2" Fernco (rubber coupling with hose clamps for plumbing repairs.) and a PVC cap drilled and tapped to 1/4" NPT. Use a 1/4" tee for a gauge and a schrader valve to apply air pressure. Be careful because if it is gaskets you can force coolant into the cylinders and hydrolock the engine.
Thank you, I will try this out!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts