Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have an issue that I believe is a cracked flexplate. Haven't had time to pull the trans and look yet, hopefully tomorrow night. I had a question that came to mind.

What is actually making the noise when the torque converter nuts loosen or the flexplate cracks? Noise=vibrations so there has to be metal-to-metal contact somewhere. the bull gear of the flexplate is too far from anything to make contact but it's still making noise somehow.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The plate itself will distort and if cracked, the two sides of the crack can flip back and forth making racket. If the bolts are loose, then the flex plate would likely be slapping the back of the bolt and the surface of the TC as the plate distorts. I think a loose or worn out starter is more likely, but the 7.3 can bust flex plates with higher than stock power output.

Might be a good idea to double check your starter. It being loose from the engine/trans or worn starter gear and shaft can make a similar noise.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
For anyone who has dealt with this before. Do I need to replace the crank spacer and flexplate bolts? None of that appears to be an issue. The bolts have clean threads the entire length, thread in smoothly and by hand. The crank spacer appears to only have marks identical to the flexplate on one side. I wasn't planning it because I have to reseal the oil cooler and fix a few other little things while it's down.

Just an update for anyone that may be troubleshooting the same issue tho. I was driving the truck like this, it was just making a sound mimicking loose TQ nuts and after parting the motor and trans, when I couldn't see the issue, I even debated removing it. Eventually I figured I came this far, I might as well inspect properly. But still... I was driving it like this. First pic is just to show you can't see the issue without removing the bolts and plate. Small plate from the flexplate.
IMG_20200517_044402929.jpg

·
Administrator
8,420 Posts
if the plate is not cracked, reuse it. the wear marks you are seeing will not do any damage to the new flexplate.

·
Project Shamu
2,803 Posts
Dieselsite does make an affordable billet flexplate too :)

I'll be getting one if I ever have to pull the trans out again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts