Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Looking to purchase a 6.4l powerstroke

3K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  Tomlin 
#1 ·
Good morning all,

I've been searching a bit but would like input from people who have owned a 6.4l. I'm looking at purchasing a 6.4l powerstroke...am I crazy? These trucks really appeal to me. I've had experience with many diesels over my short 30 years from a 6.9l IDI to a 6.0l powerstroke to my current 5.9l common rail. How much work is needed to do typical maintenance on these engines? I've searched a little bit and know that the engine can be pulled with the turbos on and cab on. My old 6.0l was no issue working on it with the cab on. My old Dodge is starting to get old on me. I still owe on it for the next 4 years with 320k on the clock. I know thats not too many miles on the cummins but its more of the 47re that I worry about. The 6.4l is much peppier, has a better transmission, will pull what I need to and rides much but with more luxury then my current truck. Basically, if the 6.4l has emissions in tact should I run or just plan on deleting asap? Talk me out of it with your experience, not hearsay internet BS.

THANKS!

#5 ·
If you can't afford a 2013+ 6.7 (the good years from what I've read), then you definitely can't afford a 6.4's repairs lol.

I know 6.4s can make RETARDED amounts of Hp and Tq, but even in stock form they are not a reliable engine... there's a reason a lot of shops will not work on them anymore, including Ford dealers.

#6 ·
"......but even in stock form....". Should say "ESPECIALLY in stock form.

In what I've thrown into two 6.4's I could've almost bought another truck. But you can get in either of those two trucks, mash the go pedal in 4wd on dry pavement and they'll spin round and round in a smoke filled circle.

#7 ·
To clarify my original "I'd be leery" statement... you can pick up stock 6.4's fairly cheap today. But to make it right you gotta dump some money in it and I don't know how well a motor that was condom-ized for that many years would react to suddenly being able to breathe. Fuel pump, valve train, all of it's weak parts suddenly getting called on to do twice the oomph...

#14 ·
I guess the bigger question is what are you going to use the truck for?

The only 6.4 I would remotely consider is one that has been deleted since near new IMO. One that has lived with the emissions equipment for a long time is likey a time bomb. However, both engines (6.4 and 6.7) have their issues. Personally I like the 6.7 better but to each their own. The 6.4 will give you gobs if power but the 6.7 will outlast the 6.4 in terms of longetivity and reliability. The transmissions are generally stronger in the 6.7 (6R140) than the 5R110 behind the 6.4 but you can build the 5R to hold plenty of power.

#15 ·
The truck will be used for hauling equipment occasionally, tractors, dingos, etc. The main use will be transporting cattle and my wife’s goats to and from fairs as well as be my daily driver. I may just say screw it and keep the cummins. I don’t know yet. Researching as much as possible. I do my own work so I’m not worried about labor bills. Parts being cheaper for the 6.7 is a plus but as I said previously, the 6.4 is more in my price range at this moment.

#20 ·
I bought a stock 2010 6.4 a few years ago with 110k on the clock. The first month I owned it I dropped the emissions equipment. Boy, what a difference! It's been 40k miles later and it still is running very very strong. My dad has a 2011 6.7 and his is always in the shop. The only major repair I've had was recently I replaced the steering box, drag link and tie rod ends. Maybe I got a good one? Idk. But so far I've been very pleased with this 6.4.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

#21 ·
Love him or hate him, Bill Hewitt from Powerstrokehelp com has a good video on why not to buy a 6.4. it's a good video. He explains some of the design issues and reasons for common failures. One failure in particular was the roller lifter in the 6.4. When they fail it is catastophic. The needles end up in the oil pump. It is also a common V8 lifter used in many gas engines. No doubt they make good power but unless you have deep pockets, a lift and like to pull cabs, hang on to your money and get a 6.7 or get a nuked 6.4 and put you in a Cummins.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.