Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...and I'm mainly looking at the '94-'97 F250s. Anything I should specifically keep an eye out for when checking these things over? Also, at what mileage point should I start to steer clear (150k, 200k, 250k, etc)? I don't need a money pit, I need a daily driver, so any insight as to what to look for would be a fantastic help. Thanks all! :bowfast:

·
Registered
225 Posts
F-350 has a "better" front axle. The ttb isn't as horrible as folks make them out to be, but if you take it to a shop for issues they will gouge you. I just bought one a 7.3 with 250k on it, runs great, has a few minor issues...door hinge pins are shot, minor oil leaks (1 drip on the ground if it sits for a couple of days), just little things that might make the next guy run from it. As long as it's had good care I wouldn't be afraid of much. I also have a friend with 240k on his 7.3 and it runs like a top, never an issue with it and he purchased it with 170k on it.

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
honestly it dont matter how many miles or what year or make the truck is......if it has tits or wheels it will cost ya money.

an f250 4x4 with the dana 50 ttb is fine when not lifted, but if you plan on lifting it then do a dana 60 swap.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, just concerned about the average mileage where the turbo and other expensive goodies on these things take a dump. Also if there are specific parts that are prone to failure, every car or truck has it's weak parts that require regular check-ups or replacement. Like the 4.3L Chevys will always eventually need the lower intake gasket update, constant fuel pump replacement, and injector poppet service. Everything has it's quirks, that's basically what I'm after.

·
Registered
359 Posts
i drove the wheels off my 97 350 up to 389k before a 18 wheeler took me out on the eway did great i pulled heavy constantly i replaced the ac compressor and it had the zf5 manual tranny that i had a few issues with but was mostly my fault cause pullin on hot tune it was my first diesel and at the time i didnt know u wernt supposed to do that towards the end before the truck plowed into the bak of me the turbo was starting to surge bad prob do to me pulln on hot tunes but all in all it was a great reliable truck i loved it and miss it and btw i give it a 5 star crash test rating i walked away without a scratch and it was a real nasty wreak the cops couldnt believe i was ok

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A$$ packed by 18 wheels huh? Lucky would be the word for it... Though you're out a truck so maybe lucky isn't quite right either. ;)

Also, I don't plan to go with a 4x4. 2wd suits me just fine since I don't do any off-roading. Basically a driver/tow rig.

·
Registered
359 Posts
yeah mine was a 2wd cc lb dually and yeah it was pretty damn lucky i had some 2.5" steel pipe in the bak i was gunna make trac bars out of them one went through the truck and stuck into and through the bak seat about 6 " the lucky thing is no one was i the bak seat the night before i tinted the widows 5% all the way around a did a spray in bed liner never even got to enjoy it:doh::mad: it was a hell of a truck i think u would be fine to find one with around 250k on it mine had 252k on it when i got it and was in great shape but i also bought it from a old man that bouht it new talked him down to 5000

1 - 7 of 7 Posts