Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone new to this cite. My story is simple, I was a Ford guy owning 2 gassers. When it came to getting a diesel I drove all 3 and GM gave me a great deal. I never was a label lover but I always had a spot for the Fords because they look really nice and I drove 2 and never had a problem. People always bash different brands. GM drivers hate on Fords, Dodge hates on GM and we all hate Toyotas!:D I need help. Is everything I hear about the 6.0 L true? Is it really a bad engine? I have seen a few really nice rigs and need a new truck. I figured I would come to the source? Help me out fellas.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So are these issues a dealership would take care of if you bought it used from them? I have seen some really good deals on some here in Socal but I was told by a few 6.0 owners that if you left them stock you would have no problems. That it was when people programmed them for more H.P that the bolts could not take it and the heads would crack. What about the 6.4

·
Registered
588 Posts
Hello everyone new to this cite. My story is simple, I was a Ford guy owning 2 gassers. When it came to getting a diesel I drove all 3 and GM gave me a great deal. I never was a label lover but I always had a spot for the Fords because they look really nice and I drove 2 and never had a problem. People always bash different brands. GM drivers hate on Fords, Dodge hates on GM and we all hate Toyotas!:D I need help. Is everything I hear about the 6.0 L true? Is it really a bad engine? I have seen a few really nice rigs and need a new truck. I figured I would come to the source? Help me out fellas.
I'll say it like this: If you're not Hard Core Ford, I wouldn't recommend a 6.0. I love my 6.0 but I also would not consider owning anything but a Ford. I've had Fords in the past and all of them have been great so I guess I figure I can live with a turd for a little while, lol. In all seriousness the 6.0 CAN be a good motor IMHO but it's gonna take some aftermarket work and a few G's. Owning a 6.0 is a "labor of love" so to speak.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
So are these issues a dealership would take care of if you bought it used from them? I have seen some really good deals on some here in Socal but I was told by a few 6.0 owners that if you left them stock you would have no problems. That it was when people programmed them for more H.P that the bolts could not take it and the heads would crack. What about the 6.4
Being that you are in SoCal you cannot fully delete the EGR, as smog inspections are starting up. One option is a block-off kit, but I prefer the method of welding the ends of the EGR cooler closed, then getting a scoopless uppipe (on the 05+). I have seen some dealers install studs but it seems like they don't do as good of a job in checking the heads like private shops do. The only issue with my 6.0 so far is a turbo at 36K...

·
Registered
69 Posts
can't say much about the 6.0l, but i love my 7.3l, and looking foward to many mor years out of it. they are a time tested engine, but i do like the look of the newer trucks. if i had the money, i would buy a newer truck and put a 7.3l in itLOL

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well it seems like the 6.0 would not be practical for me as I will use it to tow my toy hauler and a everyday truck. 6.4 is looking better to me now. Alot of folks have told me to wait on the 2011 but I cant afford new. Much appreciated fellas.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
can't say much about the 6.0l, but i love my 7.3l, and looking foward to many mor years out of it. they are a time tested engine, but i do like the look of the newer trucks. if i had the money, i would buy a newer truck and put a 7.3l in itLOL
They sure are nice my neighbor had one, bullet proof. It was my alarm clock for 5 yrs as he woke up and turned it on at 0500 and it sat in the drive way next to my bedroom.:gun:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll say it like this: If you're not Hard Core Ford, I wouldn't recommend a 6.0. I love my 6.0 but I also would not consider owning anything but a Ford. I've had Fords in the past and all of them have been great so I guess I figure I can live with a turd for a little while, lol. In all seriousness the 6.0 CAN be a good motor IMHO but it's gonna take some aftermarket work and a few G's. Owning a 6.0 is a "labor of love" so to speak.
I guess you are right, see in 06 I drove the 6.0 and just was not impressed with the power. Then I drove the GM more power and 10k less was a deal I could not pass up. Ford was my first truck, that holds a spot in a mans heart. I just do not have the money or time to spend on something like that. Thanks for your honest truth

·
Registered
588 Posts
I guess you are right, see in 06 I drove the 6.0 and just was not impressed with the power. Then I drove the GM more power and 10k less was a deal I could not pass up. Ford was my first truck, that holds a spot in a mans heart. I just do not have the money or time to spend on something like that. Thanks for your honest truth

Well power is NOT a problem. For $300-$400 buy and SCT and never worry about power. I will, however; say that a 7.3 will tow with less "effort" than a 6.0.
ie: With a given load a 6.0 may pull from zero to 60 mph faster than a 7.3 but a 7.3 will do it with less effort/rpms which should lead to longer life/less stress.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have seen alot of 2008 250 and 350 power strokes with under 40k miles already lifted in the 30-40k range. Dealership prices. Of course that's marked up with room for negotiating. I will say this, Whenever I went off road and I mean a dirt packed road or sand my Sierra hopped around like mad! That IFS was made for the highway. I did wonder if the solid axle trucks handled the dirt better.My last Ford was a F-150 so yes IFS.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In the Event that I purchase a stock super duty, What are some good but mild lifts? I have seen fab tech and pro comp systems that did not look bad, Then I also saw rize lifts but they look expensive. I wanna stay 4-6" 35" tires. My GM was rolling on a 8" and 37s that got old

Attachments

·
Registered
878 Posts
Welcome back brother....I'm not going to test my luck but my 2006 6.0 has been a good un! Been tuned for over a year and friggin love it...Everyone talks chit about em but yet everyone wants one....you make that call...

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
In the Event that I purchase a stock super duty, What are some good but mild lifts? I have seen fab tech and pro comp systems that did not look bad, Then I also saw rize lifts but they look expensive. I wanna stay 4-6" 35" tires. My GM was rolling on a 8" and 37s that got old
I just like the leveling kit on 35's. Looks good and provides a little more clearance. I have a Bilstein BTS 2.5" level on mine, I love it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just like the leveling kit on 35's. Looks good and provides a little more clearance. I have a Bilstein BTS 2.5" level on mine, I love it.

See thats what im talking about! Looks nice yet manageable. My 8" lift on 37s was nice but after cruising the mall to find Parking it gets old! Plus more strain when pulling the toy hauler. Looks really good, I bet a leveling kit is not that expensive either,

1 - 17 of 17 Posts