Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I hope everyone is doing well during these times. As the title states, I am looking to buy my first diesel truck, well my first truck ever. I am a 16 year old living in the northern suburbs of Chicago. Currently I have a 03 BMW 330xi 5 speed manual that I am selling, I hate the thing because I am constantly working on it. I have done so many jobs on it, including many engine gaskets, all suspension and some electronics. Now I want a big truck!

I am looking at a manual trans 96 F-250 with the 7.3 with 197k miles. (Listing). Do you all think a diesel would be a good truck for me. I do live in a city but would do some decent size trips and my family does have a place in the country where I have some toys that I would like to tow to the tracks and what not.

I love how diesels sound and how the F250s look. What do you all think about me buying a truck and specifically what do you all think about the truck I linked? The place selling it lets me take it for test drives and I would be able to take it to a shop before buying, what should I look out for? it will be my first diesel truck and my diesel education and financial resources will be very limited (around $4,000-6,000) but i dont mind doing work myself... in fact i enjoy it!

·
Registered
15 Posts
The body looks decent. The frame looks bad. I'm from Texas, so that might just be surface rust. The trucks are very good and dependable when taken care of. I would listen for a rattle from the transmission area, if you hear anything, plan on a clutch swap with a DMF. The Cam sensor can be an issue. It's easy to swap. I've seen 7.3s north of 300k miles on the oem. I've seen them fail at 50k. Keep a spare in the glove box. 10mm sock and your good. Coolant additives, stay on it.
Those are the only real glaring things.
I've driven more 7.3s than I care to count, both obs and Super Duties.
The last one one I owned was a late 99' 6 spd. 4x4 Dually 331k miles. A great truck.
Now I have a 6spd 6.4.

·
cainbr
1997 F250HD 7.3 CCSB 4x4 Manual
34 Posts
7.3’s are awesome trucks, but not that one. Frame rust might be surface but you can see the bubbling under the paint near the bottom of the doors on the body. Also that truck was used to plow snow and was probably worked hard. IMO you will spend a lot of money trying to fix it. Take the time to find one in better shape.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello All,

I hope everyone is doing well during these times. As the title states, I am looking to buy my first diesel truck, well my first truck ever. I am a 16 year old living in the northern suburbs of Chicago. Currently I have a 03 BMW 330xi 5 speed manual that I am selling, I hate the thing because I am constantly working on it. I have done so many jobs on it, including many engine gaskets, all suspension and some electronics. Now I want a big truck!

I am looking at a manual trans 96 F-250 with the 7.3 with 197k miles. (Listing). Do you all think a diesel would be a good truck for me. I do live in a city but would do some decent size trips and my family does have a place in the country where I have some toys that I would like to tow to the tracks and what not.

I love how diesels sound and how the F250s look. What do you all think about me buying a truck and specifically what do you all think about the truck I linked? The place selling it lets me take it for test drives and I would be able to take it to a shop before buying, what should I look out for? it will be my first diesel truck and my diesel education and financial resources will be very limited (around $4,000-6,000) but i dont mind doing work myself... in fact i enjoy it!
I saw a lot of other posts about "not that model" and thought I would share my experiences with you. I have x 2 (7.3L) 2002 year models, one is a F250, the other F350 dually. I bought both with 360,000 miles on them. These engines when maintained easily are getting 600,000 to 800,000 miles with no major breakdowns. These are really solid trucks.
Buying them with that many miles comes with a need to get into the suspension completely, and I am saying completely, as in changing springs front and rear, all the steering linkage, drive-shaft u-joints, wheel bearings, tie-rods, etc... I am sure you get my meaning.

Both trucks are 4x4 trucks and I have gone into the front Dana assembly and replaced all the bearings and axles (not knowing what the previous owners had done) and eliminated all the quirky problems with vibrations, hanging and dragging axles that caused the front axle seals to leak oil etc...

Otherwise the engines have performed perfectly, the international co-operation package of engine and transmission built for these trucks is the most bullet-proof engine and transmission that ford has ever placed into their assemblies for the F series trucks.

Engine focus areas are the HPOP "O" rings and leaking oil lines connections, replacing the turbo air silicone boots, checking the vacuum assisted system lines for leaks and fitting problems and keeping a close eye on the power steering pump and hydro-booster looped system. Changing the oil frequently (80.oo no matter where you go or do it yourself)

I completely restored the interiors with new upholstery, flooring, headliners, basically bringing a newer feel and smell LOL to the interiors. I have a truck that looks good, performs well and possibly the last truck I will ever need to buy again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts