Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking into getting a gps for my John Deere 6700 sprayer?

From the dealer around me they have the Teejet Matrix 570G and Trimble 500 Any reviews would be helpful which is better/ best deal
Any other suggestions would be great as well and reviews as well?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have not heard much about those two... not saying they are not good but just giving you my knowledge of gps guidance in equipment.

It IS DEFIANTLY the best thing we have on the farm. The number increased acres per day is amazing and the application costs have gone way down. It is defiantly worth it but even the Deere and Case auto-guidence systems that we have installed factory still have their little glitches. The satellite are constantly moving and the GPS sometimes gets thrown off a few inches.

Overall GPS is your friend and worth looking into.

hope that helped some...

·
Building Farmboy Monster
139 Posts
We are running the trimble 500 on our 9400t and it is sure sweet. it is really easy to use, we run our case 160 100ft suspended boom sprayer threw it with ez-boom, divided into 5 sections. Im 21 so i figured it out fast and with alil help my 54 old man picked it up quickly. The data logging it a nice deal because you can save it to a flash drive and upload right into your computer. Ive got a pretty good knowledge of them so if you have anymore questions shoot

·
Registered
495 Posts
We've been running a JD RTK system for two years now and once you've run one, you wonder how you ever managed without. We just purchased a new system from New Holland (same as trimble I believe) that actually uses cell phone towers to get within one inch of accuracy.

·
Building Farmboy Monster
139 Posts
If you want to more accurant application i beleive you have to use the omnistart signal which is more exspensive, ours has a 4" tolerance and we farm hills up to 48% slope, honestly is almost always dead on, only time its not is when they switch "satalights" sorry brain fart cant spell.

·
It$ only money
763 Posts
i just bought the Trimble 500 from newholland to stick in my JD 7810 to plant with.... usuing just the lightbar right now, wanted to get JD SF2 but at 17000 to put on my tractor i opted to save and jsut get the 500 system fro 3000.

ill let you know how it goes, getting ready to get into the fields within 2 weeks. may stick it on my 8400 and pull the cultivator with it before i trust it to plant lol

·
It$ only money
763 Posts
i tinkered with it today in the yard, i am happy so far lol. i will let you know asap

how much can you get the 500 for? i can get it from m dealer for 2900 OTD, then you get a 300 dollar rebate. let me know if i can help

·
It$ only money
763 Posts
think im going to add ez steer. i tried to run a pass without markers and didnt work out, put wayyy too much into steering and chaisng lights. with markers and steer i did really good. thank god i wasnt planting, just playing lol. the first year after my dad passed and i planted my first corn crop, i started strait and ended in a c shape lol. im getting better, now its a lower case f lol

·
Building Farmboy Monster
139 Posts
you will never be able to keep up trying to steer by following the gps. We spent around 10,000 for our setup on the 9400, it plugs right into the electric steering harness on the hydraulic bank for the steering. Not that easy steer is not nice because that makes it extremely easy to move from tractor to tractor, we just wanted a cleaner look. It also help the tech guy who installs them live half mi away so I have got to learn alot from him.

·
Registered
495 Posts
You can't plant using just a lightbar, you need the ez steer or autotrac. For spraying or broadcasting fertilizer, we've been using a lightbar for ten years now and it goes great (sf1 4-6 inches). For planting we got the JD RTK system with autotrac two years ago. We paid around 25000 for the complete RTK system which is universal (we have it in a NH tractor and also use it in our Krone Big M self-propelled mower).

·
Registered
332 Posts
Is anyone having trouble with the GPS Signal in the late afternoone early evening hours? Seems like everyday about 6pm (CST) I lose my signal for a half hour or so. One of my neighbors with the JD RTK was having the same trouble.

·
It$ only money
763 Posts
is it reall worth the 3500 for just the steer? im only planting about 200 acres of corn...

·
Registered
332 Posts
Yeah its hard to justify for just 200 acres. Just depends on how accurate you need it. Before I got the EZ-Steer I could almost keep the tractor within 6-8inches either way (12-18inches total) if I tried really hard. When I got tired it got worse. It will be a little "zig-zaggy" w/out the Ez-steer.

If you are not planning to cultivate the corn throughout the growing season, you'll probably be ok without the EZ-steer. If you need to cultivate you'll probably need it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
for spraying any cheap, chase the dots light bar will work. I would stick with major brands- outback, trimble, raven, deere- but green=$$$. My favorite chase the dots is trimble. For a little more $ you can get the tv screen that paints as you spray- it shows skips/overlaps.
13 yrs commerical spraying experience--retired from that!!
They all f. up at sometime, so don't be in a hurry to remove the foamer.

·
It$ only money
763 Posts
i got my corn planted, used my markers and the guidance. didnt cover enough ground to get a good handle on the system but i LOVED IT. i used the lights to keep me straight while also usuing my markers for a system check. i planted WAYYY straighter then normal and was very happy. it had alot of buttons to push to turn and shut off the path, but i didnt mess with it. i am more into driving stragihter... plan to prolly upgrade it on down the road to a total guidance package with steering.... hope to set up the planter with Kinze Vision and do the auto clutches and air downforce.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts