Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 09 350 with 60k miles. I really want to drive this truck till the tires fall off. I have heard that the 6.4's are shelling #8 pistons due to the DPF. I did buy the extended warranty and I know that getting rid of the DPF and EGR would void any warranty, but 3K now is better than 15K later. What advice can anyone give me to maximize life of the engine, and improve performance. I have a superchips cortex programmer, but I would think that getting rid of the EGR and DPF would increase performance and mileage as well. IS IT WORTH THE RISK AND MONEY TO VOID THE WARRANTY AND GET RID OF THE EGR AND DPF?

·
StackinChipsLikePringles
3,085 Posts
I would say yes as long as you know how to control your foot, delete the egr and dpf. Keep a routine maintenance, i dont recommend putting a programmer on it if you leave it intact. I think the piston failures are due to insuffecient flow of air

·
Registered
9,722 Posts
The rear pistons fail because of heat issues related to poor airflow through the intake manifold. The rear 2 cylinders don't get the same air flow as the front 6. There are ported intake manifolds available, but you wouldn't want to go that far if you are worried about warranty. I recommend doing a tuner, intake, and exhaust combo and running a mild tune.

·
Registered
323 Posts
#8 is also known to go with an egr failure due to the coolant leaking into the manifold and that being the first cylinder it reaches

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would get rid of the DOC/DPF and run a low tune, 45 to 75 HP. This will greatly reduce the fuel in the crankcase. Mine went from 4.5% to >.5%. Take good care of the fuel system and it should last a long time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input. I was told that when the regen comes on a lot of extra fuel gets dumped in the #8 cylinder and that casues the failure. It is also my understanding that this is a common problem. Kinda makes me nervous. That is all I need, a 15K mechanic bill.

·
Beef
1,565 Posts
MacG,
contact a few of the better 6.4 vendors as I have my preference like everyone does.
talk it over w/ them and the better ones will educate you on a possible purchase VS selling you on a product.

·
Beef
1,565 Posts
The rear pistons fail because of heat issues related to poor airflow through the intake manifold. The rear 2 cylinders don't get the same air flow as the front 6. There are ported intake manifolds available, but you wouldn't want to go that far if you are worried about warranty. .
Why you mention that?
Is it just too $$ for a non-race application? I would venture improved airflow to 2 cylinders should show an increase in mpg for DD, if improved combustion is occuring. If not that then maybe more HP/Trq

·
Registered
9,722 Posts
Why you mention that?
Is it just too $$ for a non-race application? I would venture improved airflow to 2 cylinders should show an increase in mpg for DD, if improved combustion is occuring. If not that then maybe more HP/Trq
It's a great modification for anyone. I just assume that anyone looking to keep their warranty intact isn't going to want to spend the money to go that deep. For 99.9% of people, a ported intake manifold replacement is going to be a decently extensive cab off job. You can't just swap them out no problem. There is a lot of stuff piled on top of that thing.

·
bigmick
112 Posts
just because u do tune and a delete doesnt mean you are voiding your warranty either. Ford has to prove that the modifications caused the failure. Its a good idea to try and get to know the head diesel guy at your local ford garage. Ive got to know mine, couple weeks ago i had an ebp sensor go bad so i asked him if I needed to get the truck back to stock before i brought it in and he said " nah, let me look at it first and then I'll decide if we need to return it to stock before I start ordering parts". I'm probably lucky cause the dude drives a tuned 6.4 also...lol

·
Registered
9,722 Posts
They don't have to prove anything. Deleting the DPF makes you subject to losing your warranty. Simple as that. If the dealer is cool with it, you are lucky. However, if Ford sends a field rep to look at your truck while it's at a dealership and the truck has been modified, bye bye warranty.

·
bigmick
112 Posts
Its a gamble we all take. Ford doesnt usually send a rep unless its a major failure. I guess I am lucky, the tech at my garage is an older guy, he knows that the dpf and egr are failures waiting to happen. Thats why he took em off his truck. Seriously though, there is some kind of law that says the modification had to cause the failure. Read about it but dont remember what it's called

·
Registered
9,722 Posts
I'm not trying to have a pissing contest here, just stating what dealings I've had!
I understand the dealings you've had and what you are saying. All I am trying to explain is that if you attempted to fight Ford (not your dealer) on an issue related to a DPF delete and a voided warranty, the likelihood of you winning is slim to none. When it got brought up in court that you removed federally mandated equipment from your truck, a voided warranty would probably be the least of your worries.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.