Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently running 285/75/16s on my truck and it kinda reminds me of a roller skate. I would very much like to Run bigger tires but dont wont to go wider. I am having trouble finding a 37" tire that is thinner than 12.5. Idealy I would like to find a 37/9.50/16. Does anyone know where i could find something close to this?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Running wider wheels should help with steering feel.

I went from the factory 7.5" to 8" With 285/75/16 and it made a world of deference.
Wouldn't think it would be It did.

Travis t

·
Registered
299 Posts
Running wider wheels should help with steering feel.

I went from the factory 7.5" to 8" With 285/75/16 and it made a world of deference.
Wouldn't think it would but it did.

Travis t

·
Registered
114 Posts
I know that Military has a tire about that size other then that no idea. But I think its only rated for like 60 MPH

·
STILL LEARNING
18,339 Posts
There is a reason you are having a hard time finding a 37 x 9 tire. They would be unstable . When going taller, you should be going wider for stability.

·
OBS junkie
8,249 Posts
There is a reason you are having a hard time finding a 37 x 9 tire. They would be unstable . When going taller, you should be going wider for stability.
:whs:

Are your 285s new? Most tires will feel wobbly for awhile till they break in. I run older 315/75-16s on stock Alcoa's my 97 & have no issues with stability. Now on the 00 I am running new 285s on stock Alcoa's & they finally settled down after 5k+ miles. The truck was down right scary to drive before they "broke in" after a few good heat cycles.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The tires have about 6,000 miles on them and they do feel better than when they were new but I would very much like to go bigger. Like I said, the truck kinda looks like a roller skate. Big tough looking truck on what looks like tinny little roller skate wheels. The trouble is I want to minimize fuel mileage loss when i do go bigger. I know that there is no [email protected] way to have a big tall truck with big tires and get great fuel econ but i would like to do the best i can with it. I can see how going taller without going wider would cause some stability issues. So maybe 37-9.5 is out of the question but i would like to find the narrowest 37 dot tire i can find. I guess I'll just Have to stick with the roller skate for now. lol

·
OBS junkie
8,249 Posts
For a 37 your really going to want a 13.50"+ or it will look & act like the truck is on roller blades worse then it does now. I like 285s for a good all around daily driver tire. They don't look so small when you have less lift & they fill up your wheel well. Really if you went to a 18 or 20" rim you could get a taller narrower tire but the cost goes up & your mpg usually goes down as well.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Super swaper m16 are available in a 33x10.50, personally anything skinnier than a 12.50 on a 33 inch or taller tires looks horrible. Looks like you could lean against the truck and tip it over

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am currently running 285/75/16s on my truck and it kinda reminds me of a roller skate. I would very much like to Run bigger tires but dont wont to go wider. I am having trouble finding a 37" tire that is thinner than 12.5. Idealy I would like to find a 37/9.50/16. Does anyone know where i could find something close to this?

Are your 285's E rated?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are your 285's E rated?
I do believe they are. They are Good Year Wrangler Dura Tracs. Rated for 3750lb at 80 PSI. I run the front at 65 and the rear at 75 unloaded.

·
OBS junkie
8,249 Posts
Bowtie if you want pm me your number. I've probably passed right by you before in my hoodstack 97 crew cab or the single stacked 00. I'm in Lapeer as well.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hello, Probably the military tires referenced somewhere here in this thread where the Michelin 900R16 XZL they are quit a heavy very durable tyre, and the modern (metric ) size is 255/100R16.
it's a tyre which is capable of carrying a really great load, and is well constructed and balanced, and has also very supple sides so it's easy to deflate and so carrying all that weight trough dirtroads and so on.

good luck further with your search.

Bart

·
OBS junkie
8,249 Posts
Hello, Probably the military tires referenced somewhere here in this thread where the Michelin 900R16 XZL they are quit a heavy very durable tyre, and the modern (metric ) size is 255/100R16.
it's a tyre which is capable of carrying a really great load, and is well constructed and balanced, and has also very supple sides so it's easy to deflate and so carrying all that weight trough dirtroads and so on.

Bart
Bart, have you seen those for sale anywhere? I've heard of em but never been able to find any.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Bart
Those sound like the ticket to me. Only thing is they are really hard to come by and buying them new is murder even if you can find someone to get them for you. They cost something like 650.00 per tire new. I am going to be keeping my ear to the ground for some used ones though. Sounds like the tire I am looking for. Thanks Bart

·
King Dingaling
9,386 Posts
Check out Interco Super Swamper...they have a bunch that are tall and narrow....they are known for being almost the narrowest tire you'll find.

SSM16 ...37x13.50R16LT...tread width 10.9" .....center section 13.50"

ND Irok...37X12.50R16LT......tread width 10.0" .....center section 12.70"

here's a couple smaller tires...not wide either.

Narrow SS....34x9.50-16.5LT....tread width 8.0"......center section 9.00"

LTB.....35x12.50-16LT....tread width 9.8".......center section 12.10"

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.