Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am in process of building a new 6.0 motor fresh build as for a camshaft it will be a colt stage 2 with Hamilton valves springs and chrome moly pushrods..supporting mods will include fuel system upgrade.. fass 220 gph, sump kit with a regulated return..coolant bypass kit, o ringed heads, thumper 1 hpop..hpods, gogo stage 1 intake, flex a lite radiator with dual electric fans, banks intercooler with high ram intake, I have Maryland diesel engine plate for remote oil cooler set up and filter, h11 head studs, 5 inch turbo back exhaust, afe cold air intake, sct programmer and egr delete and a 58v ficm .and also a ficm programmer...I am wanting to know a combination of turbocharger and injectors to put down at least 650rwhp with reliability for an every day street driver with an occasional tow...any help would be appreciated. .

·
Big dumb redneck
4,200 Posts
You want 650, but expect it to be reliable, street able, and able to tow....good luck. My guess is getting that big, towing isn't going to be pleasant. It's going to take some serious fuel and serious air. There are several guys in here in that range though so I'm sure they'll chime in soon enough on what will/won't work.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Search some of my recent threads. I'm building for 500+, but I've been told that I may come in higher than what I'm guestimating. I've also been told that I'm at the upper end of what I can do and expect daily driver reliability

Colt Stage II
High rev valve springs
155/30 injectors
WWII turbo mod
EGR delete
Regulated return
Atlas 40 FICM
O-ringed heads
ARP studs
Custom tunes yet to be chosen

·
JGman141
859 Posts
If you want reliable and usable 650 you'll need to do compounds, you'll also need built trans as well. As far as I'm aware gogo dosnt make manifolds anymore, WPE makes some of the best out there now and I would recommend them.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I'm having Trans built also with a stage 3 kit. ..I'm also running .bd diesel exhaust manifolds and sinister y pipes...I've been told not to run bigger injectors than 175/30s for the street with a compound set up will this make over 600?

·
JGman141
859 Posts
You're able to run bigger injectors with compounds because if they are sized correctly they should flow plenty of air down low. I've seen a guy that runs 225/100s with compunds and he tows daily. If you do go with compounds you should have zero issues running 190/30

·
JGman141
859 Posts
Cutting edge diesel and Windrunner performance engineering make quality set ups.

·
Registered
128 Posts
As others have said... compounds would be the only way to meet all your goals.

Also... not to sound negative... but where did you come up with the 650hp number? Have you ever ridden in a 650hp truck? Unless you have slicks, a locker, or locked in 4x4... then WOT under 50mph is basically useless, and you will be going over 100mph in just a few seconds. Most guys can't handle that much power.

I have helped LOTS of guys build 600-650hp setups. A lot of them end up downgrading their trucks to a more useable 500-550hp. That is really about he most hp you can use on the streets (unless you spend a lot of time going from 60-120mph)... Now 650hp is great for the track or showing off on the dyno... but most guys realistically don't spend much time doing that.

You can build a reliable 550hp setup that can tow great on a tow tune for about 1/3 the cost of building a "reliable" 650hp setup.

Average 500-550hp setup:
Stage 2 vgt turbo
190/30 injectors
(many have done this on stock fuel and stock tranny)
DONE!

Average 650+hp setup
205/75s or bigger
hybrids or upgraded single hpop or twin hpop pumps
68mm+ turbo or compounds
built transmission
fully built fuel system
(once you reach that HP you will start finding a lot more "weak links")

Just fyi... the injector body size does not matter for when it comes to towing or street ability. It is all about the nozzle.

So... 155/30, 175/30, 190/30, 225/30... they will all run the same on a tow tune. But the 190/30 will dump more fuel on a race tune vs the 155/30.

On the other hand a 155/100 will run hot and smokey and unalbe to tow... even though it is only a 155cc injector. Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes I know what 650 rwhp is as I use to have drag cars back in the day and I know how to drive high horsepower vehicles...I am tired of the mustangs on the street always trying to get me to race so I want something to shut them down...I didn't know that about injectors but I've been told not to run bigger than 175/30 for the street and yes I'm going with a nonvgt turbo set up

·
Big dumb redneck
4,200 Posts
You don't need 650 to beat most production cars on the road. With the right matching products, and good tuning, these things are crazy fast 500-550hp like Charlie just mentioned.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes but my truck weighs 8k so that's a lot of weight to push...after my build I'm gonna wait till motor is broken in to run it on a dyno and get it live tuned

·
Swamp trash...
247 Posts
My CCLB F250 is pretty fun on my setup on the 190/30 and stage 2 turbo combo Charlie posted. Suprises the chit out of a lot of people. Even more so since it is an ugly old XL model truck :evil.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yes I know what 650 rwhp is as I use to have drag cars back in the day and I know how to drive high horsepower vehicles...I am tired of the mustangs on the street always trying to get me to race so I want something to shut them down...I didn't know that about injectors but I've been told not to run bigger than 175/30 for the street and yes I'm going with a nonvgt turbo set up
650rwhp and 650tq is a lot different than 1300tq and 650rwhp... Before you build the truck I would recommend driving in one. Not trying to sound like a jerk... but maybe just saving you some time and money.

Are you going non-vgt single or non-vgt compounds?

Here is a setup that should meet all your criteria.
62/75 compounds
225/75 conventional injectors
upgraded hpop
fully built tranny
fully build fuel system
Recommend arp625s and/or orings

·
Registered
54 Posts
650rwhp and 650tq is a lot different than 1300tq and 650rwhp... Before you build the truck I would recommend driving in one. Not trying to sound like a jerk... but maybe just saving you some time and money.

Are you going non-vgt single or non-vgt compounds?

Here is a setup that should meet all your criteria.
62/75 compounds
225/75 conventional injectors
upgraded hpop
fully built tranny
fully build fuel system
Recommend arp625s and/or orings

i believe he said he stated he was going with a non vgt turbo set up.but to the op make sure you can back the numbers up or everyone will cry about it including a few in your thread good luck on your quest to get 650 hp.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I'm going with compounds but not until the motor gets broken in...so I'm sticking with 63 mm billet turbo and 175/30s for 4k miles until I have motor broken in then I'm going with compound set up with probably 225/75 warrens and in going to put it on the dyno and get it dialed in with a live tune....I have the h-11 head studs, ported and polished o ringed heads, thumper 1 hpop , fluidampner, banks intercooler, complete fuel system with regulated return.6.4 banjo bolts. .Aluminum oil pan, remote oil cooler and oil filter it's going to be a solid motor and Steven at psp diesel says it's probably gonna be the nicest build they have ever done..and a stage 2 billet colt cam with stage 2 valvesprings and chrome moly pushrods ...also having the transmission built with a stage 3 kit and a new billet torque converter..I've already done the rearend and replaced all u joints with Spicer 1350 non serviceable u joints and had driveshafts balanced. .I'm doing this right as a union boilermaker I don't half ass anything. ..this is going to be one bad ass daily driver....

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've got a ton of other supporting mods I haven't even mentioned. .like 58v ficm.5 inch turbo back exhaust. Cold air intake..and sct tuner. .going to go with a ficm tuner as well...it's going to be something. ..how in the world do u post pics on these threads? I'd like to post pics for yall to see the build as it happens. ..anybody recommend the industrial injection compounds? What about rubbing and chaffing with all that clutter under the hood?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts