Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran into some problems with my exhaust rusting out. i replaced the muffler with a delete pipe but in the process one of the bolts that connects the flange on the cat pipe and the down pipe flange broke which is causing the seal to leak exhaust. trying to simply replace the cat with a delete pipe untill i have the money to get a whole new exhaust. does anyone know where i can get a cat delete pipe for a 99 7.3L? thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Or if you've got a welder do it yourself. Buy some steel exhaust pipe 3.5 inch and weld it on.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you DIY I suggest if you cut it with a torch get it grinded down completely flat unless the welder you're using is a MIG, then no need to grind it

·
Registered
109 Posts
Or, you can buy an exhaust pipe from Ford, one to fit those models that did not have an OE Cat. If I remember correctly, the correct name for that section of pipe is "Exhaust Intermediate Pipe" and it comes in different lengths for the different wheelbase lengths.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Or, you can buy an exhaust pipe from Ford, one to fit those models that did not have an OE Cat. If I remember correctly, the correct name for that section of pipe is "Exhaust Intermediate Pipe" and it comes in different lengths for the different wheelbase lengths.
I thought all the 99-03 had cats?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Not so. There were some that did not require the Cat. Do a search on some of the Ford Parts sites and you will find them. A length of stainless flex pipe and two band clamps will also do the trick.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
While an exhuast shop cant remove a cat in some areas, they can make you a pipe.
Take home sazall, clamp clamp done.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
How about just punching a cat out? Or will that cause a drone or turbulence?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Piece of flex the right size will even do then just tack the flex clamps on to make sure they do not come loose that it the absolute cheapest way to do it with the least amount of work..

·
Registered
30 Posts
How about just punching a cat out? Or will that cause a drone or turbulence?
I punched mine out . I didn't have a drone ,in fact it removed the one I had with the banks. However I just ordered an MBRP straight pipe (30") 4 inch which will work with the Banks system. I have the same one on my DMax

·
econolaw
80 Posts
Make sure to sell it what ever you do! Many of us out here in CA need them for smog starting as of Jan 1, 2011. If the VIN states that the truck came with a cat, then it needs a cat. The silly part is that the thing doesn't even have to work, it's only a visual check. Though the year's almost through, there are many guys still in need.

My dad needed a CA cat.... $2,300 he passed smog. Luckily for me, my van came unequipped; I passed easily :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts