Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I paid to have a custom tune and exhaust put in my truck earlier this year. Lots of trouble even getting the right power out of it, ended up being the actual tune. 5 times over a month. Not happy about that but it is what it is.

It's a 250hp tune and I have no issue with the power, it's great. I get an occasional engine oil level too high but that's pretty random.

The main issue I'm having is the shifting...yikes, anything over light pedal and it's harsh. I take the custom tune out and put the race tune in from my SCT 3015or and even wide open shifts are normal. Nothing even remotely close to what the custom tune is. Albeit, the power is down a good bit as to be expected.

The guy that did my tune won't even return emails. He gave up. Nice, I know. This is not the 1st time I've found a flaky tuner that really doesn't know what he's doing past loading a tune someone else writes. My LBZ tuner was a joke and it took months to sort that by someone not even involved. Kory Willis fixed that tune for me.

You can imagine my frustration with this a 2nd time...:lol:

I want to give this another shot with someone else. I'm looking for recommendations.

·
Registered
406 Posts
eric or matts tunes imo

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
KEM is semi local to me here in Fl. I did send them an email today.

The shop that did the work originally was a diesel shop in Lakeland, FL.

I'll start by saying this. Not much more reason to go any further. They did the delete and loaded the tune. Guy told me I was all set, I go to leave and truck is idling about 1100rpms. He said that might be normal and should go away on its own.

#### no, he left the sensors unplugged. I hinted toward that and he made a call and sure enough, that was it. Put the sensors back in and off I went. Truck ran a little stronger than stock.

It was just one thing after another from then on.

·
Registered
116 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
^^^this

I didn't have good luck with Kem. Customer service left much to be desired.
I'm surprised by this. When I first called, he spoke to me for 45 minutes just talking about all the different aspects of tuning. He also asked a lot about my driving habits and what I expected from my tunes.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm surprised by this. When I first called, he spoke to me for 45 minutes just talking about all the different aspects of tuning. He also asked a lot about my driving habits and what I expected from my tunes.
See how that works for yea after he gets your money.

·
Registered
148 Posts
well ####. Who is Matt or Eric?
Eric
Innovative Diesel

Matt
Gearhead Automotive Performance

Both top notch. I have both and currently have Matt's on my truck at the moment. This is the race tune on a stock tranny and shifts very good. Very little smoke when wot also.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with either one. I have Matt's tunes on my 7.3 and would have some for my 6.4 but he can't tune my setup.:(

·
Registered
963 Posts
Oh you got that special cp3 eh lol. I would go with Matt's.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got KEM to do it today. $75, 250 tune.

Trucks shifts great so far. Didn't bang any shifts even wide open. I'm not sure what the deal with the other 250 tune was but this feels like the stock race tune off the SCT.

The thing I do notice is this tune is cleaner, it still blows at 1st and cleans out but it doesn't have the pull the other tune did. The other tune would spin through the 1-2 shift with just pedal. The other tune would blow about as long as you held the pedal down. It would clear out eventually but it was thick for the 1st few seconds.

Tip in with this tune is slower also.

The biggest area I noticed the lack of power was when the Tq convertor locks up @50, the last tune would pull like a banshee if you layed into the pedal, this tune feels much softer. It's picking up speed but not nearly as fast.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I got KEM to do it today. $75, 250 tune.

Trucks shifts great so far. Didn't bang any shifts even wide open. I'm not sure what the deal with the other 250 tune was but this feels like the stock race tune off the SCT.

The thing I do notice is this tune is cleaner, it still blows at 1st and cleans out but it doesn't have the pull the other tune did. The other tune would spin through the 1-2 shift with just pedal. The other tune would blow about as long as you held the pedal down. It would clear out eventually but it was thick for the 1st few seconds.

Tip in with this tune is slower also.

The biggest area I noticed the lack of power was when the Tq convertor locks up @50, the last tune would pull like a banshee if you layed into the pedal, this tune feels much softer. It's picking up speed but not nearly as fast.
Exactly what I experienced. I had an Innovative tune. Pulled like a banshee. Shifted like crap. I had problems getting a resolution to this problem. I also had to replace the transmission. I can't say for certain the tune caused it, but it sure did shift rough and irratic. I also had a tow tune from them that caused some bucking and lurching when it would shift to 5th at 45-50mph. The tow tune is what convinced me to change. KEM's tow tune fixed the problem. Very happy with both tunes. It may not be quite as fast, but it will last.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's hard to make a choice on something when you don't know how it'll react to your expectations.

I'd like a little more power but now it's going to cost me another $150 to try the next level. ugh.

·
Registered
963 Posts
That may be a 3 tune pack for a 6.0 with the big tunes but not the 6.4. In order to get race tune its either 150 as single tune or 200 in a 3 pack from gh.

·
Vtwinrunning
14 Posts
Try calling Justin from DP Tunes. There shop is Georgia, Justin is in Ca. Google them for telephone numbers. After getting a piece o #### chip from some dickhead in Missouri I got the switch on the fly tune from Justin with 4 settings. Man my truck is hotter than a jet fighter and my mileage went up 3mpg immediately. They got me my chip quick, always answer the phone, was reasonable in price, and had numerous options for my early model 99 7.3. I would highly recommend them I think you would be happy. There chip is an electronic switch on the fly, which is the only way to go for me. No mechanical grounding like the TS performance chips, they ground electronically instead of a mechanical switch

·
Registered
390 Posts
for a 6.4?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
that doesn't work on the 6.4. We use flash based programmers.

The deal is now, I have to pay another $150 for another tune and hope it's got the power I'm wanting. Roll of the dice so to speak.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts