Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a 2010 f350 xlt. Truck is nice shape but has valve covers and some of valve train pulled apart on it. The truck has 132k and still has working dpf and everything. It's a car lot who has it. I asked what it was tore apart and they said the previous company who had it took it to ford garage for a engine noise. They tore it down that far and then before getting anything fixed on it they traded it in along with the rest of there fleet of trucks they had. Any ideas what could be wrong at all? The car lot don't know what would be wrong with it.

·
Registered
955 Posts
With only that to go on, it is pretty tough to say. Rockers could definitely be a problem with that many miles with the DPF on. The lifters can cause a noise. You need a lot more info to try to diagnose it.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya that is all the info I have on it to go off of. I am interested in the truck if I could possibly fix it for a reasonable cost.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Those would be cheap fixes except you have to pull the heads to do the lifters...which would be a good time to stud it. If the noise was from a bent valve that contacted the piston, that could be very expensive. Honestly, without ever hearing it run and not knowing more, this is a crap shoot. With only that info, this could a couple hundred dollar fix or it could be a replace the entire engine (which could be over $10k). I would say your best bet would be to find a good mechanic and pay him if you have to look this thing over before you buy. A mechanic could check the valvetrain very easily, test compression, listen to it run, check for fuel in the oil or coolant in the oil, etc.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the valve covers and valve train is all laying in the back seat of the truck it's already tore down.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Well the valve covers and valve train is all laying in the back seat of the truck it's already tore down.
Exactly, so have someone look at it and inspect. Also if needed, it can be run without them on for a short period of time.

One thought, I assume this is at a used car dealer since Ford dealers would have fixed it. I am pretty sure that a dealer cant disclose the previous owners info so how does this dealer know the fleet was traded in....maybe when they tore it down the previous owner decided it would be too expensive to fix. I would ask if you can talk to the previous owner if that info can be disclosed. If your dealer is lieing, this should catch it.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll call them and see if can talk to previous owner. Also I had planned on doing all the work myself on the truck if it needs new heads I'll pull the cab myself and put new heads on in. How much expense would it be for parts? I am very mechanically inclined and also have done ford cummins swaps and a lot of diesel stuff in past before just I am new to the 6.4 motors.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I'll call them and see if can talk to previous owner. Also I had planned on doing all the work myself on the truck if it needs new heads I'll pull the cab myself and put new heads on in. How much expense would it be for parts? I am very mechanically inclined and also have done ford cummins swaps and a lot of diesel stuff in past before just I am new to the 6.4 motors.
OK, so since you can do the work yourself, that is a big plus. For all factory parts, look at Sunrise Ford. They sponsor most PS forums and usually are the cheapest you are going to find for parts (including shipping). For example, after core, $990 for heads. You can get a used block for $2500 (used). Lifters and rockers are less than $500.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So do you guys think the truck is worth 9500? Provably have another 2-3k by time I'm done with it back into it at very worse 5k into it.

·
Registered
955 Posts
So do you guys think the truck is worth 9500? Provably have another 2-3k by time I'm done with it back into it at very worse 5k into it.
What cab? 4x4?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Personally, I would look at this from a worst case senario, seeing as you have next to no history of the truck or problem to go on. What is the best price you can get on a complete remanufactured engine to drop in the truck? Take that & add it to what you can buy the truck for plus your time & then ask is it worth it?
I would have to ask, why doesn't the dealer fix it if its something fairly simple.
132000 miles with all emisions intact could be major problems

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
4x4 xlt crew cab nice clean inside and out it has nice flatbed with real nice toolboxes on it. Also comes with factory bed

1 - 12 of 12 Posts