Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im getting a 300 win mag and im looking for a good scope for it. i will be target shooting out to 500 yards so i will need good magnification and would like tactical/target turrets. i have looked at leupold, bushnell, bsa, and nikon. i have heard good things about nikon and im leaning towards the monarch 8424. 5-20x44 with 95% light transmission and it comes with three sets of turrets, sun shade, and covers. best part is that it can be had for around $400.

anyone have experience with nikon scopes?

·
Registered
551 Posts
they are an good budget scope!! but just remember when it comes to glass you get what you pay for!! the key is not just magnification its consistency so just research how well it holds its zero!!!

·
owner/president
2,768 Posts
Leupold for me.Great warranty and made in the USA and very tough and crystal clear.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i didnt want to go with the bdc reticle. from what i read the circles are too big at long ranges. i figure with the target turrets i can set the elevation for the distance and hold zero.

·
"mad cow" member
642 Posts
The Monarch is an OK cheap scope.
Every one of my Nikons have had to replaced, their customer service is horrible.
I'll never waste another dollar on a Nikon product.

IMO you dont need target turrets or BDC to shoot 500 yards.

Spend your money wisely the first time.
Swarovski, Zeiss, Schmidt & Bender, Kahles, Leupold.

Give Doug a call.
http://www.cameralandny.com/

·
Yeah, it's like that
2,419 Posts
If you want a good scope without braking the bank look into Konus scopes, I have a quiet a few Konus scopes, I have a 4.5x16 40mm M30 illuminated mil-dot rectical on my 7mm rem mag, basically the same gun as a .300 win mag. I love it and they are between $300-400. All Konus scopes are etched recticals, I also have a Konuspro 1.5x5 32mm on my browning deer gold shotgun that has taken the abuse from slugs well. Most of my guns have Konus scopes on them and have been real happy with how clear they are even going from a warm truck to -10 degrees no fogging and crystal clear. Can't beat them for the money. Don't get me wrong, I love leupolds and Ziess as well, but I will take a konus over a Nikon anyday. JMO

·
HHAUL'N STROKER
1,574 Posts
I have a leopuld vx-III on my 300 wsm and love it. Clear glass, I have the duplex reticle, and its by far the best I have. I have a Mueller also and is a decent scope.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
leopold, best scopes for the money PERIOD! they have the best customer service of just about any company i have seen. my dad has about a 20 year old scope that broke. he called them up shiped it to them and a week later he had a brand new scope that showed up at the door.

·
Administrator
8,554 Posts
i have a Simmons 4X12 44 mm variable objective on my 25-06.
shoots a 2 inch 5 round group at 400 yds. it is 25 years old now, and never had any trouble with it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
they are an good budget scope!! but just remember when it comes to glass you get what you pay for!! the key is not just magnification its consistency so just research how well it holds its zero!!!
:whs: I bout two cheaper scopes thinkin i was saving money but my 300 mag distroyed them from the recoil ended up buying a leopold mark 4 from a friend of mine. Spend the money and get something good.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I agree with everyone else that has said that you get what you pay for when buying optics, Leupold is middle of the road compared to Night Force or U.S. Optics, but I just couldnt spend that much at the time for glass after I bought the rifle. I ended up going with this:
Millett Tactical Long Range LRS Rifle Scope 35mm Tube 6-25x 56mm Side Focus 1/10 Mil Adjustments Mil-DotBar Reticle with Rings Matte - MidwayUSA

Granted its a sub $500 scope, but I have been blown away by it, I was recommended to it by a friend and I'm tickled pink with it so far. I got mine in 1/10 Mil adjustments because thats how I learned to make calculations and it's easier if both crosshairs and adjustments are same. Only thing I'm not crazy about is it's a 35mm tube vs a 30mm or a 1in, its massive, but its also recoil rated up to a .50
Came with rings, two sunshades and flip open lens covers. I've got this on a Remington 700 SPS Tactical .308 with a 1 piece LaRue Tactical rail mount and the rifle will hold sub MOA out to 650yds with decent ammo. Hadnt been out to 1K with it yet, but will when I get time. Sorry for being long winded.

·
We put the FU! in FUN
1,625 Posts
Nikon make a decent scope, Depending on how much money you are willing to spend and what u want to do with the set up i would also look into Leaupold, Zeiss, IOR.. All depends on how much u want to spend.

·
Haulin' Iron
262 Posts
I recommend Leupold. At 500 yards you want at least 20x zoom and 50mm objective. Make sure you get the 30mm tube to accommodate the 50mm objective.

·
Registered
504 Posts
if you will go to a benchrest site or long range tactical like sniper central or 6mmbr.com you can get reaaly good professional reviews on a lot of brands and scopes within the brands, they also have classifieds with good deals and vendors just like here. I have luepold on both my sniper rifles for work cause my chief likes them. I have a 6.5x284 1000yd gun with a bushnell elite 3200 series that in my opinion blows the luepolds i have out of the water but it has a lot more magnification for the long range. Dont forget the rings and bases are just as important as the glass. Your scope can only be as acurate as the gun its on and if its a factory gun dont expect perfection. Just my .02

look at konus, black diamond, IOR, ziess, nightforce, weaver T36, bushnell elite, luepold, sightron, and of course nightforce

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
I Put a Sightron SIII 6-24x50 on my FNAR and a Nikon Monarch on my 300wby (maybe this one is better built than the regular Nikon scopes). Both are excellent scopes and I have yet to destroy them. I had a Millet (made by bushnell) with a 30mm tube on the FNAR and the scope had terrible parallex and power adjustment knob locked up after 2 trips to the range. Bushnell's warranty sucks! 6 week turnaround time. Sightron promised me no more than a week and most of the time 2 day and they are an American company. I used to put cheap optics on my rifles, but learned the hard way a few times that it will cost you more in the long run if you replace a scope 3 times......

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Leupold is my scope of choice. It helps that they are completely made in the USA. Agreed on the 30mm tube and 50mm objective for consistently shooting at 500 yards. Remember, the best scope in the world will still move around without a good solid mount so be sure and get good quality rings and bases as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts