Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am looking at an 2006 powerstroke but i keep reading about these head gasket failures some guys say it was just in the early years but i read that they are in every year what is the deal i dont wanna spend 20 grand on a used truck and blow head gaskets thanks for the help

·
Hate 'R Us
2,436 Posts
spend twenty grand on what? if your putting that into performance parts then three grand of it goes towards new gaskets and arp studs and you will be fine
Pretty sure he's talking about buying a $20,000 truck, not just that much in performance parts.

OP: Do yourself a favor, if you buy the truck the first things you should do should be this:

1. ARP studs (make sure the heads are FLAT and the block isn't cracked/warped)
2. EGR Delete, completely get rid of it. It causes nothing but problems.
3. Run synthetic oil like 5w40 valvoline, might be wise to invest in a oil filtration system as well.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Your gonna want a good coolant filtration system too. Oh and keep a bicycle in the bed.

I

·
0 Posts
Not all 6.0's blow headgaskets. I know a bunch of guys that own them and have only known one that had gasket problems. He added a bunch of power to it and drives it like an idiot.. I have had two 6.0's and no gasket problems and both where chipped. I tow heavy regularly and use the diesel for it's intended purpose..

·
PSN Veteran
2,983 Posts
as stated above, first and foremost get an Oasis that way you can see if the truck has had any issues that were fixed under warranty or by a dealership. As pain train said, Headstuds(either ARP or H-11), Delete the EGR system completely(I have FCDP's kit and love it), and a Synthetic oil will help out greatly. Also a coolant filter will help with clogged oil coolers.

·
mitchell
17 Posts
:whs::whs: My truck is an 03.5 with 102000 miles on it last time i had it on a dyno i was around 450hp. And so far (knock on wood) My head gaskets are fine EGR delete with some black onyx head gaskets with ARP studs you will be just fine.

·
PSN Veteran
2,983 Posts
:whs: or we have an Oasis forum on here. Just get the VIN and put it on here on the Oasis Forum.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts