Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone,

ok so i have a 2002 f-250 lariat with the 7.3 obviously..... I am planning on puttin a chip on my truck, i have a few buddies that have chip and one of them had the transmission go out.... could this have been caused by the chip?...... im not tryin to get crazy power either.... what i am lookin at is the EDGE Juice with Attitude.....thanks guys:ford:

·
Back to Civilian Life!!
2,469 Posts
tghat will make your trans go BOOM really fast especially if you tow. Get a custom burned chip from one of the site sponsers here and you will be very satisfied.

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
here ya go.

Some quiet reading for you to research chips and what will work best FOR YOU and YOUR GOALS.

As for tuners versus chips Tunes you can not switch tunes on the fly you also will be limited to generic tunes or only one maybe two custom tuners and then you will be very limited in your choice again. In just about every way the chip is better choice. One thing that can be of confusion on here if you are somewhat new is the use of the term "tuner". On here we are almost never referring to the device called a "tuner" but the person that actually is writing the tunes themselves for the chips.

I would say, easily, 99%+ of members on here and most other dedicated 7.3 sites use a chip not a tuner.

One other thing to keep in mind: the maker of the popular chip used by many tuners to installed there tunes on is the "TS chip" )6 position chip). But that same manf also sell that chip with generic tunes directly to the public as well. So you will see comments about "TS style chips" from one of the custom tuners you are about to learn about with some reading. You want the ones from the custom tuners not the generic TS chip and tunes directly from TS or others. You will quickly understand the difference with some reading.

Of the various custom tuners out there these are the poplar ones with the best reps. Read the thread links below to learn more about them to help you make your choice:

Custom Tuners:

Swamps (Jonathan)

Gearhead Automotive (Matt)

Beans (Jonathan)

BTS (Cale)

Power Hungry Performance (Bill)

Diesel Innovations (David)

Total Diesel Performance(Tony TW)

Truck Source Diesel

DP Tuner(Jody)

Most every question you can have about chips the tuners who's tunes are run on them should be answered in the threads linked below. Including which is best, this tuner versus that, this chip versus that, etc... If not ask and I am sure you will get answers.

Superchips 1805 vs Custom Chip ? - Powerstroke Nation

Chip vs Programmer - Powerstroke Nation

programmer for an early 99 - Powerstroke Nation

Dp Tuner vs. TS performance - Powerstroke Nation

Custom tuning choices???? - Powerstroke Nation

Diffrent chips - Powerstroke Nation

New Beans Tunes! - Powerstroke Nation

ts 6 pos chip? - Powerstroke Nation

After all this... A Cracked Block. - Powerstroke Nation

Chips anyone? - Powerstroke Nation

best tuner/chip for 02 7.3? - Powerstroke Nation

chip AND programmer??? - Powerstroke Nation

Adrenaline w/ Dp tuner - Powerstroke Nation

Need some opinions - Powerstroke Nation

Another chip question... - Powerstroke Nation

Chips??????? - Powerstroke Nation

looking into getting a TS chip - Powerstroke Nation

What are your thoughts on Powerhungryperformance chips - Powerstroke Nation

Looking for a new chip - Powerstroke Nation

New Beans Tunes! - Powerstroke Nation

Ts, Dp, or Tw - Powerstroke Nation

Diffrent chips - Powerstroke Nation

Piston Star Patterns - continued - Discuss - Powerstroke Nation

Safest Tuner ?? - Powerstroke Nation

ts 6 pos chip? - Powerstroke Nation

looking for another progammer - Powerstroke Nation

STACKING TUNERS CAN YOU GUYS EXPLAIN - Powerstroke Nation

Recommendations on Tuners - Powerstroke Nation

Are flip-chips harmful to PCM's? - Powerstroke Nation

99.5 wanting to get a chip - Powerstroke Nation

PHP tuner and the fun times you can have with it! - Powerstroke Nation

Chips anyone? - Powerstroke Nation

High miles and new chip? - Powerstroke Nation

DpTuner - Powerstroke Nation

chip questions - Powerstroke Nation

TW tuning ? - Powerstroke Nation

more power? - Powerstroke Nation

Need more Powa! - Powerstroke Nation

TS CHIP TUNES - Powerstroke Nation

Empire tunes? - Powerstroke Nation

just got my new tuner have a question??? - Powerstroke Nation

bdp custom 7.3 tuning - Powerstroke Nation

chip installation - Powerstroke Nation

Tony Wildman Tunes - Powerstroke Nation

Best Tuner - Powerstroke Nation

TUNING - Powerstroke Nation

so its time for tunes - Powerstroke Nation

Ts, Dp, or Tw - Powerstroke Nation

Gearhead Automotive Performance Customers! - Powerstroke Nation

pricing out a chip and have some ?'s - Powerstroke Nation

Custom tuning choices???? - Powerstroke Nation

Safest Tuner ?? - Powerstroke Nation

·
MINK
1,049 Posts
edge+stock tranny= BOOM......been there done that get custom tunes from a vendor...beans,PHP,gearhead and so on....

·
owner/president
2,768 Posts
Edge:doh: Custom tuned chip for 7.3's.
That Edge will make your tranny go out for sure.I only pull codes with my Edge.Otherwise it sits in the cabinet.

·
Crazy wid da cheeze wiz
2,411 Posts
Go with Jonathon from Beans Diesel Performance. I love mine. But really, its all in who you want to spend your money with.

·
Back to Civilian Life!!
2,469 Posts
I take it your friends all have an edge on there 7.3s? Guess what you get one of these custom chips and you will blow them out of the water.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I take it your friends all have an edge on there 7.3s? Guess what you get one of these custom chips and you will blow them out of the water.
yes they do lol.... thats what ive always heard, but see the only other problem they came across was that i have another friend who has a 7.3 with a custom burnt chip and it messed up his computer in his truck( throwwin bad codes, wont run unless chip is in the highest mode, etc.)
i guess my question is what is the best chip to give me performance but at the same time keep my truck in great runnning order, im young and dont have the money to go puttin in it to fix major major problems:confused:

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
AND if you got back and read some of those links you will see what everyone thinks of their various custom tuners' chips. FAct is if your friend ha a chip that has all thoise issue I can almsot wihtout a doubt tell you it did not come from one of the tunes on this board OR he is not telling you the whole story like things he may have changed or nto done etc... EGOs are funny like that.;)

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
yes they do lol.... thats what ive always heard, but see the only other problem they came across was that i have another friend who has a 7.3 with a custom burnt chip and it messed up his computer in his truck( throwwin bad codes, wont run unless chip is in the highest mode, etc.)
i guess my question is what is the best chip to give me performance but at the same time keep my truck in great runnning order, im young and dont have the money to go puttin in it to fix major major problems:confused:
the quote I posted will have more info then what you will want lol

click on some of the links and read the threads.

·
Registered
545 Posts
:whs:

You're going to be reading for.....ummmm..QUITE awhile. LOL

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok this is gonna make me sound like a dumb young kid, but i want power as well as smoke.... i wanna make cars dissappear, and im tired of ricers tryin to be big #### and going 200 mph so i wanna cover them in smoke, im really liking the dp tuner so far, but there are so mant tunes i cant comprehend them all

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
why does anyone need 16 tunes? I dont even need 6 tunes, my truck had 4 tunes and 90% of the time its in daily. the other 10% its in my street tune.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I don't think you sound dumb. But do this. TAKE YOUR TIME. Information is awesome and you are for damm sure in the right place. Any mistakes you may make by jumping the gun and rushing I am pretty sure some people in here have made those mistakes and learned. Learn from them. ( Plus its cheaper that way LOL )

This forum has a WEALTH of REAL WORLD EXPERIENCE. ( Read that as been there done that )

I should add. You do know you probably have PMR's.....so slow down and read before you act. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
really liking the tony wildman chip... seems to be pretty good for power and mpg..... thats most likely what im gonna go with.. thanks everyone for the help!:rockon:

1 - 20 of 55 Posts