Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Truck is a 2001 F350, 7.3, automatic, 4x4, SCLB, XLT. Has the dash switch for the transfer case. 214,000 miles. The body is rusty, cab corners, lower parts of all 4 doors and rust on drivers fender in front of wheel. Box would need to be replaced as the bed floor and the wheel wells are rusty. front bumper has a dent and rear bumper is twisted. Has a crack in the lower passenger corner of the windshield. Interior looked pretty decent of what I could see (has tools stored in it for construction jobs). Was told it had a vibration in the rear from like 45 to 50 mph, could be tires as they are in need of replacement. Truck was used for construction jobs and hauling and pulling scrap. I didn't get to hear it run or drive it as it was locked and his dad was gone and had the keys. They are asking $4000, I could get it for $3000 and that would be after hearing, seeing it run and driving it. Also I could get a 8 foot rust free box in town here for $500 obo. I have a budget up to $8000 but cheaper the better. I don't have pictures and described as best as I could. Would this truck be worth looking into more. To bad the trucks body wasn't in better shape for the somewhat lower miles. I'm still looking also.

Thanks, Eric

·
Registered
278 Posts
My bet would be you could find a truck in better shape that would make more economical sense. You should be able to find a truck with similar mileage or less with a decent body in the $6-8000 range. I think by the time you get this truck into shape you'll have all of your budget invested and nothing to show for your labor.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Purchase a truck from a salt free state. I live in NY and that is my recommendation. I have a 2002 that is in prestine shape. It does not see the road when the salt is out. Working on a rusted vehicle sucks. I'd spend my money elsewhere.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Purchase a truck from a salt free state. I live in NY and that is my recommendation. I have a 2002 that is in prestine shape. It does not see the road when the salt is out. Working on a rusted vehicle sucks. I'd spend my money elsewhere.
Yup I'll Second That! Working on a customers truck like the one you desribed in my shop right now. 02 NY Truck Replaced rear axle pulled trans and transfer case to repair numerous leaks, Installed new trans lines. Pulled engine replaced 4 injectors, both manifolds, oil pan, waterpump, front and rear crankseals. Damn near rebuilt front axle. Replaced brakes, rotors calipers. brake lines and glow plugs. You get my point, the guy who bought the truck thought he was getting a deal. By the time its all said and done he'll have as much into that truck as if he went down south and had bought a rust free truck.:eek:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I'm still looking. I also have a local Ford dealership looking for what I want. 99-2003, F250 or 350 7.3 6 speed 4x4 SCLB. I'll take an automatic for the right truck and price. They said that may take a while. I'm in no rush. Been looking for 6 months. There is a F350 in town here that is a SC with a flat bed, SRW, 7.3, ZF6, 4x4 with 238,000 that I'm going to check out this weekend if it doesn't rain.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Crew cabs have much less rust on the cabs if that sways you towards one. Mine just turned 190k miles and I have no cab rust. The bed is going to happen up north no matter what unless you removed the foam from the bed fenders when it was brand new.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts