Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of either an air locker or the electric locker.
Wondering who has had experience with them good or bad .I am thinking the electric since I won't need a compressor just run a power wire?

Thanks gang

·
Registered
300 Posts
No electric experience but I love the Air Lockers in my jeep....And I have emergency onboard air with the pump up kit......

·
Flossin'
2,088 Posts
I've been around my friends Toyota, he has lockers front and rear (ARB air).

He locks the rear end before he'll put in 4x, but he's got a Marlin Crawler, and when that sucker locks front and rear, and hits 4Low-Low, that thing will go ANYWHERE. The only bad thing is that on those axles, the clearance for the air line is minimal, so he actually had the line move, and get chewed on by the ring gear, and had to replace it. Dunno bout the OBS diffs.

Rear or front? Cuz his was a dirty bitch to turn before he went to Hydro steer. Now you can turn his 38's with the front locked with 2 fingers.

·
Registered
300 Posts
fully locked fronts are a bitch to steer..... That's why it's nice to be able to hit the switch..

·
Flossin'
2,088 Posts
I have ARB's in both axles of my DD/Grocery getter...never had a problem...and I wouldn't change a thing
Does it turn alright when your locked up front?

That goofy ####er lincoln locker'd it the first time. Man it was a dirty rotten pig in 4x.

·
King Dingaling
9,386 Posts
It turns,..but it ain't real happy about it...LOL

When engaged it's like any other locker when turning,..herky jerky,...

That is why I like ARB's....if I'm turning ...I just flip a switch and it's off.....no hesitation....it does it silently and lightening quick.

In this video...I turned them on and off about 40 times at least....

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so you need a compressor and air tank ? and keep it at what pressure?

·
King Dingaling
9,386 Posts
yes...you need both....but it's not that big of a deal especially if you plan on air horns in your future....or air tools like I do.

ARB's require a minimum of 85psi to function...never to exceed 105psi.....I run them at 95psi, and have water separators.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I have the Lock-Right locker in my truck. I know, I can't turn it off, but it has worked well for me. The applications engineer at Richmond gear even tried to talk me out of it for a street driven dually (saying the locker engagement would be too harsh), but it doesn't bother me.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

·
Registered
300 Posts
so you need a compressor and air tank ? and keep it at what pressure?
If not using the ARB compressor then yes....The ARB compressor has a small built in tank..The solenoids pictured control the air flow and pressure and are supplied with the locker.....You can either plumb them into the big tank like tank did or they attach to the ARB compressor and run from there....They can look daunting at first but they are actually relatively simple to wire up....If using all ARB stuff it's simply plug and play and hook into power and find a ground... In 10 plus years with the ones in my jeep I've never had a problem with leaks or anything breaking.

·
Empty Wallet
68 Posts
I have the Lock-Right locker in my truck. I know, I can't turn it off, but it has worked well for me. The applications engineer at Richmond gear even tried to talk me out of it for a street driven dually (saying the locker engagement would be too harsh), but it doesn't bother me.

Regards,
Michael Pliska
Does this locker have the awkward "slop" on take off? Ive driven a mustang, caprice, and jeep wrangler with machanical lockers and they all had that feeling that the rear end was about to fall out of the thing.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Does this locker have the awkward "slop" on take off? Ive driven a mustang, caprice, and jeep wrangler with machanical lockers and they all had that feeling that the rear end was about to fall out of the thing.
LOL, yes it has some noticeable slop when first taking off after changing directions (while the gears pop to the next position). Same thing with the Detroit Locker in my street/strip car. You get used to it, but it is always there (and I make it a point to take up that slack before hammering the throttle). Since it's only after a direction change you really only feel it in driveways or parking lots, but you feel a little bit of slop when lifting then re-engaging the throttle on the freeway.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

·
Registered
95 Posts
Just put spools in it man cheap reliable can't beat it. After a few 100 offroad miles you even have bigger stronger fore arms its a win win

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Sig truck came with ARB and non ARB air compressor, tank (PO installed it, thanx Nit!!) works wicked...can run air tools and now have air bags on the rear, all in all great addition. You will enjoy the added convenience to onboard air. I'm thinking it will be a pretty penny to acquire all the stuff...but it is nice to have...

jrc

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
what about an E-locker?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts