Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2002 PS with the 7.3 and auto trans. The transmission has a lock up switch on the dash. This is new to me. I drove the truck about 600 miles yesterday, coming home from Corvallis and used the lock up out on the freeway. I forgot to turn it off once coming into a rest area and it almost killed the truck before I could get it turned off. There were no instructions on how to use this feature. Could someone give me a run down on how to use this? I can see the benefit of having the switch...lower rpms and great compression braking coming down hills. I got 16.7 mpg on the first tank of fuel.

I would appreciate any comments you guys might have.

Thanks Moose

·
Banned
598 Posts
Good for being hooked to a sled or when ever you want the converter to lock and its not also good for slowing down heavy loads.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,131 Posts
Never lock it below 1300 RPM. There isn't enough pressure to keep the converter locked below that and it can slip and destroy the friction material.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Never lock it below 1300 RPM. There isn't enough pressure to keep the converter locked below that and it can slip and destroy the friction material.
Thanks. I'll try to pay attention. Never engage it below 1300 rpm or never run it below 1300 rpm?

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,131 Posts
Never allow the converter to be locked below 1300 RPM.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts