Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Canadian Eh
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking to get a lock right for my rear, im tired of the one wheel peels and there a burn out comp in a couple weeks:evil. im just wondering what you guys think about them?

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
complete junk, I tore one up in my toyota pick up in less than a year with stock hp and big tires. do it right and put a detroit or a tru-trac in there

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
:whs: These trucks make way too much torque for a lock right to handle. If you want something that can be an open diff for regular driving and locked for playing then if you can afford it go with an ARB air locker. They are pretty much bullet proof.

·
Canadian Eh
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well its the money part, im on a tight budget but ill see if i can scrounge up the extra 100$ or so for the detroit tru-track and see if i can borrow equipment from someone to put it in.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Honestly unless you have done a diff setup before and really know what you are doing I would save up the cash and have a shop do it and ask if you can watch so you can learn.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
I've been working on vehicles for 26 years, I've never set up a diff on purpose, too much specialty equip and way to easy to ruin parts, save enough money to have someone do the install.

·
Shortbus driver
223 Posts
Tru-trac isn't a locker. A Lockright is - its also large and strong enough for the D60/10.25/etc that failure isn't a problem.

·
Canadian Eh
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tru-trac isn't a locker. A Lockright is - its also large and strong enough for the D60/10.25/etc that failure isn't a problem.
ya, but im pretty much looking for something to stop the one wheel peels and burning off just my right rear. as long as there is no wires or air lines i'll be fine with it.

·
Canadian Eh
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Honestly unless you have done a diff setup before and really know what you are doing I would save up the cash and have a shop do it and ask if you can watch so you can learn.
im not too sure, but im pretty sure that the old man has done them before and he might also have the tools tucked away somewhere. i'll have to ask him

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
The manufacturer themselves do not recommend it for diesels or larger tires. We discussed this in an identically named thread about a month ago.

If the people who market it say not to use it in our application, then it would be a waste to get one, as you'll be setting yourself up for failure.

Dave

·
Shortbus driver
223 Posts
The manufacturer themselves do not recommend it for diesels or larger tires. We discussed this in an identically named thread about a month ago.

If the people who market it say not to use it in our application, then it would be a waste to get one, as you'll be setting yourself up for failure.

Dave
Between a few friends and myself, we've had good experiences with them on diesels with larger tires and minor-to-moderate power mods. No failures yet. We're not rockcrawling... just backroading and camping while not getting stuck anymore.

Install is seriously easy. No special tools or setup.

I do have a Detroit Locker in my F350 - due to a good deal and having a factory posi (not lockright-able). Being a full-case design it is significantly stronger, but requires you to press on bearings and check/adjust your gear pattern. The Tru-trac falls into this category also.

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
like dave said, if the manufacturer doesnt recommend them for diesel then I would use it, granted alot of people have used things on these trucks that werent recommended for diesels something that is in the rear axle and if it breaks then your screwed.

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,869 Posts
lincoln locker, aka, weld the damn spider gears and be done with it, if they break for 75$ worth of parts in it and do it again, tried a tru method right there, the rear end in my 93 is welded, sounds like hell when u turn cuz u gotta slide a tire but highly effective

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
like dave said, if the manufacturer doesnt recommend them for diesel then I would use it, granted alot of people have used things on these trucks that werent recommended for diesels something that is in the rear axle and if it breaks then your screwed.
I wouldnt use it is what I ment to say.

·
Registered
817 Posts
When I bought mine I spoke to an engineer at the factory, and his reason for recommending against it was because it is too harsh on the lockup, and he felt that it would only be exacerbated on a dually. I bought it anyway, and now have 32000 miles and about 500 dragstrip passes on it. I've always figured that my truck can't get enough traction to break it. As mentioned above, it is a simple install (does not require re-setting gear pattern).

Regards,
Michael Pliska

·
Registered
400 Posts
I put one in my 97 chevy reg cab non diesel, and it diddnt last long. It was fun till I broke it though!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts