Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my truck began squeaking at speeds above 62.5mph about a year ago. Took it to a dealer and they replaced my passenger side hub. Squeak gone...so I thought it came back and I replaced my driver side hub...squeak is still there. I am at a loss at this point, I can't seem to find the origin of this sound. Above 62 you begin to hear a squeak, squeak the faster you drive the faster and louder the sound becomes. No vibration and you can't hear it below 60.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone know the symptoms of a failing carrier bearing?

·
Registered
748 Posts
carrier bearing would have play and you would have a driveline vibration. check the calipers may have something to do with brakes maybe....

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Front drive shaft u-joints look to be the culprit on my truck right now. Everything else is new on my front end. So look at yours, good chance they haven't been done. The double cardone joint is where they usually squeak.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Well I found my squeak, it was the front u-joints afterall!!! I've lubed them three times in the last 10K miles yet they needed more it seems.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They shouldn't be making noise though if the hubs are not locked though right? I mean not being locked means it cant spin?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
carrier bearing would have play and you would have a driveline vibration. check the calipers may have something to do with brakes maybe....
What kind of movement are we talking about? I got KM2 tires so I don't know what driveline vibration feels like. The brakes are new SSBC calipers and pads.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
HUbs still spin when free wheeling from momentum. If the seals on the back inside of the knuckle are worn it will allow the axel and stub shaft to droop down. THIS is what happened to be. It caused the stub shaft end to be on an angle thereby causing the end to bind,

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any way to check to see if that is what it is without tearing the whole thing apart?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
EASY, turn your wheels till they lock in a direction for easy access to the front end. Lift up on your u-joints( Axel shafts ). you'll be able to see the seal on the rear of the knuckle also. Mine don't have play really now that the seals and bearings are new. Before themoved up-n-down a good inch or two. My needle bearings were actually good but they were replaced since the front end was already apart. It was those simple seals, they are about 5 inch in size. You would never think that they would keek the stub shaft aligned.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My driver side one moves maybe an 1/8 inch and both my dust seals are toast. Is that enough movement to cause the squeak? I checked the front drive shaft and after 40 miles of driving it has not rotated...would that still cause the squeaking you are talking about?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
1/8 th inch may be enough to cause it to squeel. Mine kept getting worse fast. My wheel bearing was makeing noise before it was replaced also, though not much. I could feel all of the play in it when I grabbed the top-n-bottom of the wheel. Ball Joints were new FYI. Making friends with someone very knowledgable can save you so much time and money. Find the problem and then fix it, don't just throw parts at it till you find the noise.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ball Joints were replaced about 20,000 miles ago. 3000 miles ago Dealer said my passenger side hub was the culprit and I was in the process of moving so I had to go with it. Lost vacuum on the 4 wheel drive hubs so I replaced the driver side hub 1000 miles later as I thought the sound was coming from there. Found the o-ring melted so I figured it had failed. I am now left with u-joints, carrier bearing, and the back part of the hub in the knuckle. I have been moved to Ohio and have no tools or people I know...anyone wanna help? I will provide beer half way through the repair for drunken repairing reasons.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not the rear drive line...its somewhere in the front...time to pull it apart agian.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts