Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
obs addiction
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know who does live tuning in or close to michigan? It's time for a reburn and live tuning is what I'd really like to do. My current tunes don't get along with my bts. Worked great with the old trans lol

·
Registered
405 Posts
Anyone know who does live tuning in or close to michigan? It's time for a reburn and live tuning is what I'd really like to do. My current tunes don't get along with my bts. Worked great with the old trans lol
With only a 200cc/30% hybrid you really don't need live tuning yet. I would call up your favorite tuner (PHP is doing mine for my 238cc/100% Stage 3 from rosewood). IMO you can't really go wrong but PHP has some of the best trans tuning from what I have heard/driven and also will work with you on what you want which for me is a big issue.

All of the other tuners I called would not give me tunes with high idle software like a SD, PHP said they can and do it all the time. It works great, a guy I work with has them.

Thanks, Brad.

·
obs addiction
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What's the trans doing ,?
Trans shifts like #### with the chip hooked up. Unplug chip and it's perfect, with out the chip Egts are little hot when towing. I'm towing everyday right now too.

·
obs addiction
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No one in michigan does live tuning. You're gonna have to send it out.
Hallas used too. He did my current chip, excellent tunes hate to see them go, but trans don't like them.

·
obs addiction
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All of the other tuners I called would not give me tunes with high idle software like a SD, PHP said they can and do it all the time. It works great, a guy I work with has them.

Thanks, Brad.
They can do that?? That'd be pretty sweet. Will that work on any chip setting.? That'd open up a spot for a different tune...

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
With only a 200cc/30% hybrid you really don't need live tuning yet.
Bullsh!t....every truck is different. Live Tuning is the only way to go.

I would call up your favorite tuner (PHP is doing mine for my 238cc/100% Stage 3 from rosewood). IMO you can't really go wrong but PHP has some of the best trans tuning from what I have heard/driven and also will work with you on what you want which for me is a big issue.
Gauranteed you will need the tunes tweaked especially with an OBS.

Thanks, Brad.
Depending on the tuner, the high idle is a liability. The OBS trucks do not have a brake input like a SD to turn off the high idle like a SD. So if the tune is programmed at whatever idle rpm and you drop it into gear, the rpm will stay high.

Billy T.
[email protected]

·
obs addiction
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks billy,

I thought that by sd high idle he meant using the cruise to make it high idle. Not the automatic high idle crap.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
I want to add something that I forgot.

With a SD, when it's cold out and you set the E-brake, the idle would elevate to around 1000-1200 rpm depending on the temperature. Once you press on the brake, the idle would drop down.

I had the SD feature put on my chip. I'm leaving out the tuners that did it. When I first started the truck up in the morning depending on how cold the temp was, the idle elevated anywhere between idle (670) to 1200. The rpms would drop slowly as the engine oil temp rose. The bad part...I couldn't wait for the oil temp to rise and would have to stand on the brakes while coming to a stop or while stopped.

The other high idle feature is like the AIC. Turn the knob to the chip position for the AIC and then you turn the knob to your choice of tune for driving.

What it all comes down to, the OBS trucks don't have a brake input for the PCM to control the idle.

Tuning for an OBS is harder than a SD. What's harder is an OBS with a stick.

Billy T.
[email protected]

·
obs addiction
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm glad u chimed in on this... I was thinking it was the other way around lol.

How do u like nltd tunes? I'm kinda stuck on who to go with and the live tuning is what I'd really like but options are very limited for me...

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Coming from a race background, I'm all about tuning. I run a FAST XFI in my race car which gives me total engine management.

IMHO, when you call a tuner and order a tune(s), they are generic. I don't care if you give 'me your build, every truck is different even you have the same parts. Live Tuning is the way to go.

Unless you have a tuner near by or willing to drive to drive to them, that's the only way it'll be done. I tried to set up a live tuning session in NJ, but it fell through. A lot of interest. When it came down to get a committment, there was only one. Most people don't realize the cost of getting live tuned. Most tuners charge $250 per hour and it usually takes 2 hours. Once you get live tuned, you will never go back to canned tunes.

I run NLTD tunes. I also have Gearhead's. The Gearhead tunes are real conservative. The NLTD are way more powerful.

Billy T.
[email protected]

·
the stryker god
3,659 Posts
Power-struck in Osgood Indiana is gonna be your closest option. They have a dyno and ice heard good things about their tunes. You make sure all mechanical problems are taken care before you get there.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Baker Engineering in Nunica does tuning. I believe they mostly do gas drag race stuff though. Power struck might be a better option.

·
obs addiction
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm gonna look into power struck then. If not them guess I'll try nltd.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.