Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've ordered the mini h1 kit from retro solutions a couple weeks ago and have just been slowly doing the retrofit since I have recons to get me by.

I have the headlights all apart right now and I'm getting them ready to paint. I'm waiting on my tuxedo black paint to come in.

Anyways here's what they'll pretty much look like when I get done, except the whole thing will be black except the projector shrouds.

1389898569646.jpg

·
Registered
40 Posts
How hard was it to get the headlight apart? I know the fog lights were a pain to get apart!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How hard was it to get the headlight apart? I know the fog lights were a pain to get apart!
It's a pretty big pain because of the sealant Ford uses. Most people use an oven, I tried that with the first one and it was just a hassle since I would have to put them back in over and over again.

For the second one I bought a heat gun that's about 1000°. It would get so hot the black plastic would be melted so you have to be careful. I got in one corner with a screwdriver, then put force on the corner while heating up the sides going away from it. I had it apart in about 15 minutes or less. If you happen to bend an edge out of shape you can just heat it back up with the heat gun then form it back with pliers.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
300 Posts
Those look awesome you should leave the shrouds chrome and paint the rest of the headlight black.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
40 Posts
Any update on the progress?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any update on the progress?
yep I actually sealed them back up tonight.

here are a couple pictures and a video to show the leds. the bottom projectors look like they're pointing down but that's just because they're aimed all the way down. they'll be more level with the top ones after I aim them.

·
Registered
300 Posts
They look great!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wow those turned out great! I know you went with the mini h1 kit, but what about the LED's? How do you wire the LED into the lighting system?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow those turned out great! I know you went with the mini h1 kit, but what about the LED's? How do you wire the LED into the lighting system?
Thanks, I would have them installed tonight but I just realized they didn't send the wiring harness with my kit so o have to wait for that now.

I couldn't find the right size halos for the inside of the shrouds that were color shifting so I just ordered flexible led strips that were colorshift and put them on the inside of the shrouds facing inwards.
I should have taken pictures of it while they were out but here's the back of the shrouds. I laid the led strips out on the flat part. The strips have 4 wires coming off them (red, blue, green, power) I combined all the same color wires into one new wire and it will be ran to the control box. Then the control box just needs a power source and it's remote will control the leds.
1391222557080.jpg

·
Registered
38 Posts
do you have any pics of the cut offs? and are they adjustable once situated in the housing? i thought retrofits were fixed once u get them in there.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
do you have any pics of the cut offs? and are they adjustable once situated in the housing? i thought retrofits were fixed once u get them in there.
I don't have any pics yet because I'm waiting for the wiring harness that was suppose to come with the kit. The projectors themselves mount solid in the reflector but the whole bottom reflector in the headlight adjusts up and down by turning a screw. The cut off lines will be able to move up and down just like the stock headlights.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don't have any pics yet because I'm waiting for the wiring harness that was suppose to come with the kit. The projectors themselves mount solid in the reflector but the whole bottom reflector in the headlight adjusts up and down by turning a screw. The cut off lines will be able to move up and down just like the stock headlights.

ah, ok! sounds good. i might get off my ass one day soon and do a retrofit too. thanks for pics.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here's a picture from a minute ago. I have them in but I still have to wire the colorshift part. Also they are aimed at like the ground since I don't have a screwdriver long and skinny enough to fit the adjustment gear. I'll get one tomorrow.
1391645866073.jpg
1391645878595.jpg
1391645897235.jpg

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
here's a quick video showing the switchback blinkers. for some reason they turn red when they say amber on them. oh well I kind of like it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts