Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Need your assistance and suggestions. Here's the deal. Trying to disconnect the transfer case from the tranny (ZF-5) on '96 CCLB 4X4 F 350 while still on the truck. So I have undone the 6 bolts that hold the transfer case to the ZF-5, unhooked the driveshafts, removed the tranny cross member, exhaust. Have the transfer case on a tranny jack with the transmission supported with a nylon strap between the frame rails so it will not fall too far toward the ground, once they come apart.

I can not seem to separate the two?? Currently have a 1 ton chain come a long hooked to the rear drive shaft flange and rearend. Just to put some rearward tension on the TC.

What am I missing?? Should it be hard to pull apart I though once you had the bolts undone it would separate on it's own??

I am afraid to really put the power to the come a long for fear I've missed something...

Suggestions please..

Tia,

jrc

·
Stroken it 7.3,6.0,6.4
1,239 Posts
You should be able to wiggle it up and down to pull it off the rear trans shaft.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok so it's not like I've missed anything...it's just being a bit temper....mental and not wanting to let loose?

jrc

·
STILL LEARNING
18,328 Posts
:whs:

There is no need for a chain hoist to seperate the two. If you would of left the trans cross member in it would actually make things easier.(keeping the trans stationary while wiggling the t-case)

I'm sure corrosion is a big part in holding the two together

·
Stroken it 7.3,6.0,6.4
1,239 Posts
Nope your not missing anything as long as you got all the bolts out.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Its been awhile but for some reason 6 bolts sounds a little on the light side?
nvm guess six is right

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Brad,

Thanks I was just thinking of putting it back on (trans X member)...only reason I took it off was the tranny is coming out too and was worried the T Case would wanna flip the T jack on it's side if I kept them togethers as well it was easier to get at the T C bolts....

thanks for the suggestions....back outside before it's too dark..

thanks again,

jrc

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
oilfield trucker
849 Posts
Although I would assume you have I noticed you did'nt mention anything about unhooking the 4x4 linklage. You did unhook that, rite ? Like said above, if everything is unhooked it should seperate. Also, I've found once you get the transfer case loose, gently slide it away from the transmission about an inch, so the xfer case comes out of the dowel on the back of the xmission. Then you can let the xfer case rotate down, it will then be about an inch or two off the floor then you simply slide it the rest of the way off the output shaft of the xmission and let it drop down. That way you dont have to try and steady it on a jack since they're so lopsided.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:eek::eek: yes 8 not six and they are all out....hahaha
oh Kaaay...it's been a long day and there are only six yesss thats six TC to Tranny bolts....hahahaa

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys,

After putting the Tranny X member back in...and wigglin' the KEEERAP out of it got it off.

Thanks again for all the suggestions in such a short time appreciate it. ZF is coming off tomorrow!!

jrc

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Zf 5 SWEET
Yesss.....totally looking forward to ZF-5 in CCSB. I have missed grindin gears...:D I mean the auto has been interesting as it's the first one I have ever owned in a PU and I like the WOT pulls and no loss of boost. But have never liked the coast "feel" on deceleration...maybe the coast clutches are out of it....I mean is shifts nice and fairly crisp. The PO had installed a precision stallion TC and Tugger II shift kit (not sure what else), and in one TW chip setting it would shift out of OD on let off was good on highway driving around corners....at speed.

I am hoping for better fuel economy with the ZF-5 and that more positive "feel" this truck is a DD and will never be a huge HP ride. Only looking to get +- 400 RWHP. The notion is to have a capable DD that will get good commute mileage 18-22 mpg. (my '96 CCLB F350 4X4 would get that easy) that I can tow the 7K TT with.

thanks again for the support guys

jrc

1 - 14 of 14 Posts