• paint

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Was PSD0389
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys so Im going all color matched on my truck but Ive been debating what to do with my bumpers recently.

I would like to paint them the color of the truck but my major concern here is rock chips and the paint not holding up since this truck is my daily driver and sees the highway and long trips a lot.

Also do you guys know much it typically costs to get two bumpers painted or line-xed?

So Id like your guys opinions on whether you think color matched line-x would still go well with the rest of the truck or not?

Also guys with painted bumpers how does it hold up?

All input will help.

The biggest thing Im looking for input on is how well will the paint hold up with all the crap that gets thrown up on the highway and everything

Here are pics of the truck as it sits now. More stuff is in the works. Thanks

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
A friend had his burban red linexed top to bottom. Looked bichen! It blends in well, mostly has to do with the guy and gun so get pics from sprays he's done and check his work.

·
don't be that guy
193 Posts
Not trying to hyjack the thread or anything, but im starting this process on my 09 that is navy blue. just too much chrome for my liking. i have a buddy that works for Keystone automotive and weve been kicking around the idea of having the bumpers and grill powder coated. i'll post up the info as i get it here if you dont mind. im concerned about the rock chips too, since mine is a daily driver and sees quite a few gravel roads...:D

·
Was PSD0389
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah definitley post up what you find, I was thinking about powder coating as well but didnt know if it would shine like regular paint would and end up looking goofy so Im curious to see what you come up with

·
Was PSD0389
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
See Im just not a big chrome guy though, Ive always been a bigger fan of the color matched look. The only truck of mine where the chrome gille and bumpers lasted was my 86

·
Just another OBS addict
1,006 Posts
I think paint would add more of a "street" look to the truck, whereas line-x would be more of an "off-road" look. As far as the paint chipping goes, I'm guessing it wouldnt be all that bad, considering that most cars and SUV's have painted bumpers these days and they don't chip too bad. If you take it off-road alot, that'd probably be a different story. But like you said, it sees mostly highway use. So, I don't think I could really decide. I might pick line-x. Paint would probably look good, but I'm not a fan of trucks that look like they're just show trucks. Line-x gets my vote. And didn't you line-x the bumper on ur '95? That looked good, so I'm guessing it would on ur SD as well.

·
Was PSD0389
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think paint would add more of a "street" look to the truck, whereas line-x would be more of an "off-road" look. As far as the paint chipping goes, I'm guessing it wouldnt be all that bad, considering that most cars and SUV's have painted bumpers these days and they don't chip too bad. If you take it off-road alot, that'd probably be a different story. But like you said, it sees mostly highway use. So, I don't think I could really decide. I might pick line-x. Paint would probably look good, but I'm not a fan of trucks that look like they're just show trucks. Line-x gets my vote.
Good points

This truck never goes mudding and never will.

My OBS I herculined my rockers and rear bumper and had the Iron bull that was sprayed with a liner as well and I really liked the way that looked but Im not really going for an off road rig look on this but thats why Im looking for opinons

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Here is a guy from one of the other sites that powdercoated his black:

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
See Im just not a big chrome guy though, Ive always been a bigger fan of the color matched look. The only truck of mine where the chrome gille and bumpers lasted was my 86
Do yourself a favor then and find a set of painted bumbers and a xl grill and put the chrome ones away for a bit. Just incase you decide you dont like it later. At worst you end up selling them.

·
Was PSD0389
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do yourself a favor then and find a set of painted bumbers and a xl grill and put the chrome ones away for a bit. Just incase you decide you dont like it later. At worst you end up selling them.
Oh dont worry Ive already got that covered becuase I was thinking the same thing

I have an XL grille sitting at the house, I have a paintable rear bumper on the way and I have to track down a paintable front bumper still

·
Registered
96 Posts
i had an 05 with painted bumpers and after one winter the truck looked awful. then i got in an accident so i kept the painted grille and got a chrome bumper, looked kinda cool. some paint shop guy told me that the clear coat was brittle and thats why it chipped, but i think if your doing 70 down the road and a rock hits it any paint will chip. my 08 that i have now has chrome and has held up well. i think dzchy(spelling???) has his powder coated to hold up in wyoming and that looks good. the line-x doesn't have enough of a finished look for me i guess. i think your truck looks sweet now, but good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Oh dont worry Ive already got that covered becuase I was thinking the same thing

I have an XL grille sitting at the house, I have a paintable rear bumper on the way and I have to track down a paintable front bumper still
There is a bunch on e-bay.

·
Was PSD0389
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i had an 05 with painted bumpers and after one winter the truck looked awful. then i got in an accident so i kept the painted grille and got a chrome bumper, looked kinda cool. some paint shop guy told me that the clear coat was brittle and thats why it chipped, but i think if your doing 70 down the road and a rock hits it any paint will chip. my 08 that i have now has chrome and has held up well. i think dzchy(spelling???) has his powder coated to hold up in wyoming and that looks good. the line-x doesn't have enough of a finished look for me i guess. i think your truck looks sweet now, but good luck with your decision.
Thanks for the input, that was kind of my fear on the painted bumpers. The powdercoat in that one pic actually looks real good so I may consider that route as well

There is a bunch on e-bay.
Yeah thats where I got the rear but no paintable fronts have popped up yet that Ive seen

I had an idea, what about painted and 3M the front bumper only?
Are you talking about that 3m wrap? If so then thats an idea, but how much does that stuff cost?

·
don't be that guy
193 Posts
this is kind of the direction we were thinking about going. Still no final tally on how much money we are talking though. the fx 4 grill looks pretty well the same as the chrome ones we have, they are just paintable. plus im pretty sure it wouldnt be too hard to sell the chrome bumpers and grill after he liked the job( or maybe not ). Ive talked to a couple shops in the area and they have said they would be interested in them, so at least you could get something out of them. Like i said earlier not trying to hyjack...... but i will post up what I find for mine in the next few days.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Are you talking about that 3m wrap? If so then thats an idea, but how much does that stuff cost?
I'm not sure, I know my boss tried to put it on the front of his Avalanche but it was wicked hard to get right because of the contours and such. I would expect the bumper to be pretty easy. Find a local 3M dealer.

·
Was PSD0389
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah Ill look around and see what I can find, I need to find someone around here that can powdercoat as well to get a price on that and line-x

1 - 20 of 32 Posts