Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 05' F250 (FX4) with the limited slip 3:73 rear end. In the snow or wet grass, you can tell the limited slip is working because it will spin both rear tires at the same time. Today I was towing my 16ft flat bed trailer and had an issue where I needed to pull over on the side of a country road to check something out. I pulled over far enough to get one rear tire in some wet grass/mud. For the life of me I coudln't get the truck back on the dry pavement.......the tire that was on the pavement just sat there, but the tire in the mud just spun.......it acted just like a standard open diff.

I ended up having to get out and lock the front hubs and put it in 4x4 in order to move the 3-4ft forward in order to get both rear tires on the pavement.

Are the clutches worn out in my limited slip diff, or is that how they are supposed to act when you have one tire with 100% traction, and the other with 0% ? Maybe the clutches just aren't strong enough to put the full load to the tire that was on the pavement? I was pretty disappointed that I had to drop it in 4x4.......

·
Project Shamu
2,727 Posts
I have noticed this as well. Granted mine is much older, but a gentle progression into the throttle may help as well. Get both tires going before you get on the throttle hard, its easier to keep it locked at lower speeds then to get it to lock at higher speeds.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
that is normal. next time in that situation, gently apply the brakes.
the braking action should send power to both wheels, like traction control.
That's the way I understood lsd's work.
Which otoh, is why people claim factory lsd's are junk, it is operator error.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
8,240 Posts
You can rebuild it if you want, I’ve read where you can toss an extra clutch in it and then don’t add so much friction modifier to get the desired results.

·
don't play well w others
4,003 Posts
Use caution, turning sharp corners when you build them too tight is hard on axles, tires and clutches

·
Registered
418 Posts
I'm of the group with little to no respect for Ford limited slip carriers. Sure, maybe feathering the brake helps them work a bit better, but there isn't a chance I'm going to feather the brake as I mash the right pedal tuning unto traffic to try and prevent the inside tire from breaking free. They don't seem too bad... until you have a real carrier (like an Eaton Truetrac). Just my personal opinion, and I think your carrier is fine.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
or a detroit/grizzly which is what I use in every truck front and rear

1 - 9 of 9 Posts