Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed fluid in my rear diff today, used Redline 75-140...on the tag on the rear end it has S 406 H, and 31k30 3.73 ratio.....is there any way to tell from the tag if it is limited slip or open? Also, after driving it about 12 miles, and starting from a stop light on a slight hill (up) i got a clunk that could be felt?????? From the rear end area.......there are no leaks, filled the level till it seeped out the fill hole....???? any guesses...it did fine while driving..(the u-joints are ok...2002 F250 4x4....rsbhunter:postwhore2:

·
owner/president
2,768 Posts
Need the axle code in the drivers side door on the vehicle certification label.

·
Keep er shinny side up!
1,624 Posts
Changed fluid in my rear diff today, used Redline 75-140...on the tag on the rear end it has S 406 H, and 31k30 3.73 ratio.....is there any way to tell from the tag if it is limited slip or open? Also, after driving it about 12 miles, and starting from a stop light on a slight hill (up) i got a clunk that could be felt?????? From the rear end area.......there are no leaks, filled the level till it seeped out the fill hole....???? any guesses...it did fine while driving..(the u-joints are ok...2002 F250 4x4....rsbhunter:postwhore2:
could be the slip yoke needs some grease.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yes you can tell LS or open by the tag.
If it says 3 73 it is open
If it says 3L73 it is LS

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
didn't see the L, so i'll assume it is an open...the tag on the door is unreadable on the bottom, where i guess the axle code would be.....can a dealer tell by VIN code?....The slip joint grease sounds completely possible..will check tomorrow...thanks for the help....rsbhunter

·
dinnerbooter treasurer
3,567 Posts
You could jack the back wheels off the ground and spin one of them. If they other one spins the same direction you have limited slip if it spins the opposite direction you have an open differential.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts