Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
kind of a different question but would hids be all scattery and what not in a smoked lens? just wanna check before i order these lenses thanks guys

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Hids will be 'scattery" in any lens.

HID retrofits – stay away from them. The results are usually less than expected. More importantly, they are illegal in all states. DOT has recently begun fining suppliers and manufactures

H4, 9004 and 9007 bulbs are dual element lamp – both low and high beam. An HID capsule is a single element so you loose one of the beams – more often you loose the low. Notice also that the low beam has a shield next to it – an HID Capsule does not.

The light sources in any lamp must be precisely placed at the design focal point. The lens/reflector assembly is computer designed for the shape of the light source. You cannot retrofit a standard HID capsule with the H1, H3, H4, H7 or 9000 series mounting hardware and precisely position the light source because the design of the bulb base is not precise enough. A lamp designed for a D2S capsule has a precision machined capsule holder, not a stamped steel or molded plastic one.

The light source of an HID is a totally different shape than the light source of a filament bulb. The source for a halogen bulb is an axial filament with a length and a width. The source of a D2S, or D2R HID Capsule is a globular point. Want to see how precise a filament has to be placed? Take a look at the two filaments in an H4 bulb and see how close they are – that’s all the difference between a high beam and a low beam pattern. Now take a look at a 9004 or 9007 – the two filaments are right next to each other. The difference between a high and a low beam is fractions of a millimeter.

There are a number of fly-by-nights out there modifying the standard D2S HID Capsule to fit in some of the other bulb mounts, but those are dangerous to use in a DOT lamp. They put out 2½ times the light of a halogen bulb – but because of the DOT pattern, oncoming traffic is going to be dazzled by the extra light. That’s all fine and good if you don’t mind blinding oncoming traffic. Best case, everyone flashes at you – worst case, they swerve into your lane because they can’t see. Somewhere in between, a state trooper runs you down and makes you get your lights fixed – there goes your investment down-the-drain.

You may have seen Hella HID conversions kits on the internet. I spoke to Hella and asked them why I couldn’t handle them. They said they don’t make those kits. Some one is buying our ballasts and capsules, modifying the capsules and passing them off as a Hella products

Another problem you are going to have is the wavelength of the light output is a short wavelength – which means it dazzles and diffracts much more than the warmer, longer wavelength of a halogen source. One of the reasons gas discharge technology is only on high-end cars is that most are now going to a “self-leveling” system for the headlamps to avoid dazzling oncoming traffic in acceleration situations and when cresting a hill. You won’t have this and the risk that you will dazzle oncoming traffic is enhanced because you don’t. Hold your breath the first time you dazzle an oncoming state trooper and you can’t dip you running light.

You can have much better lighting by using a USA made harness and Hella's 80/100w 4k Kelvin bulbs. PM me if you would like pricing.

Cary

·
Registered
480 Posts
Ill agree with the above statement.... Thier is a local truck that has done the hid conversion. And you can see that thing comming blocks away when it gets close to you it blinds you. I feel sorry for the people driving the cars... I purchased a set of good nighthawk platnums and boy its about 2x the diffrence. The light went from yellow to a nice white bright light. And after i do the wire harnes upgrade it will be even beter.

After seeing the HID conversion in action i will definately stay away from it. How would you live with yourself if some family couldent see because of your headlights and went off the road and got seriously hurt

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
As OBSWIZ said, HID lights are illegal for on road use in every state unless the vehicle was equipped with them from the factory and in that case they are inside of a projection type housing which is designed for HID lights.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts