Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just talking with someone(Tom) and he had a great idea. A small LED light in the Nemo mirrors. I think that would be great for a built in turn signal/ marker light. But has anyone taken a Nemo mirror apart before?

·
Registered
41 Posts
i took my chrome ones off and had to cut one off with a saws all (dont ask why lol). theyre simply put together. but i think once you get it apart its apart for good. i'm sure you could apoxy it but they got clips in there that would be tough to not break off. i did this about a year ago and dont remember all the details. theres only the two bolts and another arm that goes into the door that you could get a wire through easily if you find out a way to get the mirror apart.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah. That is what i was afraid of

·
Registered
248 Posts
Just talking with someone(Tom) and he had a great idea. A small LED light in the Nemo mirrors. I think that would be great for a built in turn signal/ marker light. But has anyone taken a Nemo mirror apart before?
Brad dont be stealing my ideas......I actually already have the Led strips...Forget the site i got them from.... 5/8" wide about 3" long...Bright yellow....

When you move the mirror around you can see (4) torx screws inside, but i dont know what thats all about...

I might make a cardoard templete of the curve of mirror and make a housing out of SS at work and attach to the mirror itself...spent 20.00 would like to use the lights...

Figure with those and a set of cab lights i'd be set....

·
Modded by a Chevy Express
425 Posts
If you're careful, you can do lots to them. These are currently on the workbench. I still need to toss some amber plastic in the oven to mold the side lens.

Power, heated, puddle lamp, signal arrow in glass, marker/signal on edge

·
Registered
248 Posts
If you're careful, you can do lots to them. These are currently on the workbench. I still need to toss some amber plastic in the oven to mold the side lens.

Power, heated, puddle lamp, signal arrow in glass, marker/signal on edge

Very nice...Any info on taking apart would be great,,,,:bowfast:

·
Pennsylvania Coal Roller
102 Posts
thers a guy in the diesel power mag that has a similar set up on his 95' its in the December or November issue just to give you guys some idea FYI

·
425 Posts
Very nice...Any info on taking apart would be great,,,,:bowfast:
A: Remove glass and backing by moving mirror down and to the inside. Use a pick or small screwdrivers to loosen the plastic clips from the mirror backing off the motor swivel. If modifying the glass, carefully "saw" through the 2-sided tape/silicone with heavy fishing line.

B: "2 mirror method." Smash glass, knock out 4 plastic KO's as seen in the picture, and remove motor mount screws. Separate motor and mirror backing. On second "donor mirror" move glass to a corner to allow a large screwdriver to contact swivel mounting ring. Hit screwdriver to break ring and allow glass/backing to be removed. Use salvaged parts to build one mirror.

thers a guy in the diesel power mag that has a similar set up on his 95' its in the December or November issue just to give you guys some idea FYI
Those are 96 Bronco mirrors. Extremely rare and expensive. Garrett and I discussed those mirrors, which is what gave me the idea to build my own with junkyard parts. The Bronco ones aren't heated either.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts

Yes, they are factory ford mirrors. Nearly impossible to locate at this point in time.

Getting the mirrors apart is not easy, and usually the plastic is old and brittle on the retainer, so youll usually break the glass getting one apart. So practice on a junk one first.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah. I was thinking about a light on the outside corner of the mirror, not in the glass. This way oncoming cars could see it. Something similar to the SD tow mirrors

·
Registered
248 Posts
Yeah. I was thinking about a light on the outside corner of the mirror, not in the glass. This way oncoming cars could see it. Something similar to the SD tow mirrors
Just ordered another set of led lights lastnight....Its a flexible strip very thin you attach with double sided tape....Made for heavy duty applications....

Its all black except for lights...Post pic when it comes in...I think this will work good for what i'm lookin for....I dont have access to alot of mirrirs to destroy...

and also i dont want anything in the glass either...

·
425 Posts
These will have them as well. I guess you didn't read my post that I have to mold some AMBER plastic, that there is a marker/signal in the edge. It will be in the black plastic just behind the chrome.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
These will have them as well. I guess you didn't read my post that I have to mold some AMBER plastic, that there is a marker/signal in the edge. It will be in the black plastic just behind the chrome.
Well Lets see some pics alreadyLOL

·
425 Posts
Before you knock the exposed LEDs, I'll remind you, as I've said in previous posts, I have yet to make the side lenses. :flipa:

·
Registered
248 Posts
Before you knock the exposed LEDs, I'll remind you, as I've said in previous posts, I have yet to make the side lenses. :flipa:

Now thats exactley what i want....Just a side marker light....That looks great.....

·
Registered
248 Posts
Question to anyone....

My truck has the standard break away mirrors i guess there called....I bought a set of nemos from brad...

question....I see that the door has a nut-sert (i call it) in the door for the 2 mounting screws..../since my doors dont hase that, is there enough room to get my hand up there to use nuts after i drill holes?

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes. You can get your Fat hand in there:poke:

·
Registered
248 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts