Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 F350 4wd with 7.3L Had 218K miles.

It been smoke like that only on highway when you FLOOR and boost gauge go up 20 psi.

Coolant been STEADY same level for 10K miles and oil I would say little consumer like 2-3 quarts oil to 5k miles.

But what I notice if you STAY ON pedal keep REV it will pour continued light grey smoke on highway.

If I stop and get take off it will pour black smoke.

I order new IAC boots so I hoping it fix issue.

Mileage been 15 in city but after highway and light of city it been average 18.30-19 mpg but at 55-60 mph in cruise control.

Boost gauge push average 2-3 on flat highway at 56-60 if 65-70 I think 4-5 psi.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I'm saying injector(s).. light gray smoke is usually "completely" unburnt Diesel from a failing injector. Black smoke is "inefficiently" burnt Diesel usually during spool up while accelerating or poor tuning. Look for the haze of gray in the black smoke during start up.

If it's really pouring gray smoke like you describe, get it looked at. A bad Injector can do real damage to the piston.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm saying injector(s).. light gray smoke is usually "completely" unburnt Diesel from a failing injector. Black smoke is "inefficiently" burnt Diesel usually during spool up while accelerating or poor tuning. Look for the haze of gray in the black smoke during start up.

If it's really pouring gray smoke like you describe, get it looked at. A bad Injector can do real damage to the piston.
Thank this truck had 5 new injectors so I suspect 2 injectors on #7 and #8.

It kind angry me that I just replaced #8 injector and now it bad it show on AE scanner I had.

But I use AE code since I got for cheap so I should go back to AD injector.

Going call diesel shop tomorrow to get quote I hoping it $220 for rebuilt 2 injectors.

There IAC boot on turbo it crack so I need fix that asap.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
#8 should be a Long Lead LL AD. You can't just swap injectors without adjusting programming. I am not sure AD's and AE's or whatever you had in run on the same programming. That could be your problem. Make sure you have 8 good AD's installed and #8 is the LL type or Long Lead.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I tried call diesel shop they were too busy to answer phone. Going meet them in person tomorrow.

I hoping it fix issues I had.

I replaced all intercooler hoses on this. I couldn't believe how bad condition they were. It just goofy slippy.

Now boost won't go 20 psi anymore it stop 18 psi. No leak in intercooler system.

Dan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts