Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Master of Disaster
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished my zf6 conversion and im curious is the zf an inherently loud trans? im getting a light grinding in low and 2nd gear i havent drove it a lot just down the driveway at the shop since i just got it done this morning, im curious is it just gear rollover or something to that effect, is this just how normal operation of these transmissions goes? also its just got a stock clutch on it to get me going down the road again.

·
Master of Disaster
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im going to say single mass its whatever comes with a stock clutch from ford.

·
Registered
743 Posts
i swapped in a zf5 into my sd, and that sumbitch can be loud as fuk when it just idles, i think its because of the single mass flywheel and the dual disc clutch though

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
im going to say single mass its whatever comes with a stock clutch from ford.
Well, they had dual-mass flywheels from the factory. But since yours is a conversion, you must have specified whether to use a single or dual mass. Where did you get the flywheel and clutch from?

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
It's obviously not "stock" if it's a ZF6.

Okay wait, what hasn't been asked, and maybe is being wrongly assumed -- what did you "convert" from? Did the truck originally have a ZF5, or an automatic?

"Conversion" usually implies it started out as an automatic, which means you must have had a flywheel installed. But if it originally had a ZF5, then perhaps they just retained the flywheel, which would be unfortunate; that was the ideal opportunity to swap in a single-mass.

·
Registered
854 Posts
i swapped in a zf5 into my sd, and that sumbitch can be loud as fuk when it just idles, i think its because of the single mass flywheel and the dual disc clutch though
I no this is an old post but what year of super duty did you swap the zf5 into

·
Registered
239 Posts
You mean grinding when shifting or if your rolling slow in first or second like say under or around 1000 rpms?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts