Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a small (20") LED bar installed. There's a toggle switch on the dash and a relay mounted nearby. When I turn it on, my CEL will come on momentarily and the engine loses power for a second. Ideas? I used decent gauge supply wire, and it CANT be drawing much current. Ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
8,278 Posts
So the light bar is causing interference with the cam sensor. Is it an oem sensor.
You could add some ferrite beads I fix it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the light bar is causing interference with the cam sensor. Is it an oem sensor.
You could add some ferrite beads I fix it.

Interesting. Is it the current draw, or the actual LEDs themselves? By ferrite beads, do you mean the little donut magnets that are on some electronics? If so, where should I put them?

·
Administrator
8,278 Posts
It's the leds causing noise and screwing with the cam sensor.

I would try a new cps first.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The cam position sensor was just replaced a few weeks ago by ford when I got a fuel pump. What would be the next step?

·
Administrator
8,278 Posts
How about the icp sensor. Is it oem?

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
Do you have a dedicated ground to the light bar?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The cam position sensor was just replaced a few weeks ago by ford when I got a fuel pump. What would be the next step?

Sorry. Yes (better be). Work
Was done at a Ford dealer.

·
Administrator
8,278 Posts
So my guess is the light bar is a cheapo from eBay. I would try some ferrite beads. Amazon has them. Or steal them off of some old cords around the house. Then put them on the cps pigtail.

If none of that fixes it. Buy a new light bar.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's definitely a cheapo bar. Can try the ferrite beads on CPS wiring. The light bar is not a big deal. If I have to, I'll just ditch it. Prob not willing to pay the price fir a better bar. When it hesitates like that is it doing damage to the CPS? Or worse-is it causing faulty CPS info to be sent?

·
Administrator
8,278 Posts
It's causing interference in the signal back to the pcm.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's weird. I just drove the truck, and was trying to see if I could replicate the problem. I flip the light bar on several times, and various RPM, and it did not stutter. I turned the headlights on (thinking it might be related to electrical load), and try to again. Could not replicate. The problem has happened several times, it's not just a one time deal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts