Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking to pull the cab and do my head studs and gaskets on my 06....im tired of waiting for my buddy to make room in his shop haha...anyone know if its possible to do this with out a lift?...i was thinking take the bed off the truck...then lift the cab and slide it back and just rest it on the frame (with some plywood or something for support) where the bed sits...anyone have any thoughts about it?....i have access to a small crane..and cherry picker as well as many roided friends so lifting the wieght i do not think will be a problem...the possibility of this working rather than lifting the cab of with a post lift....other suggestoins welcome...........any info is appreciated...

·
Still learning
368 Posts
Do a search there are quite a few threads on this. 4x4's and imagination will get a long ways.

·
Registered
588 Posts
a small crane, spreader bar, 4x4s, and some straps ought to get the job done.

When I do my headstuds, I'm gonna justify buying a post lift with the money I save doing it myself.

·
Junior
225 Posts
Just for another option, you can do the studs and gaskets without lifting the cab. If you do a search on it you will find that they have pretty much perfected doing studs without pulling the cab on a 6.0.

·
Hood Rich
2,873 Posts
if I had to do it without a lift, I would yank it out the front of the truck... Remove bumpers radiators, take off AC compressor yet keep it attached to the system and move it over.... easiet way.... Id never do it in cab....

·
Registered
357 Posts
i did mine in vehilce, i also only ever do 6l head gaskets cab on. Lifting the cab is easier on the body (your body), but takes more time then doing it in vehilce.

If you don't care about time, as mentioned before just yank the motor and do it, much better then trying to rig up something to try and lift the cab off. Besides you would probably have the engine out quicker then the time it would take you to try to rig something up.

I would also check to see if you have any oil leaks, etc. If you have leaks i would pull it and do it all at once.

If your doing it yourself get your a/c evacuated before you start tearing into it as no matter which way you choose you will have to evacuate.

·
i like to party
1,415 Posts
It takes my buddy an hour and a half to pull a cab. After the cabs off its like working on an engine stand, it couldnt be any easier to work on a 6.0 this way. Pulling the motor is way more work than pulling a cab IMO

OP i've sen some really funk ways of people pulling cabs, using forklifts, ceiling chains. You name it someone has done it successfully and unsuccessfully. Whatever you do take pics! :evil

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh boy...sounds like i have my work cut out for me haha.........i have two options, my friend just told me i could bring it in and use is shop and lift......but hes an hour away from me but il have access any time i need.....then i have another offer for a friend to use his shop he lives 5 in away, but no lift.....same access to the shop......what to do what to do.....im thinking the lift an hour away may be the best way to go.....he has a little more room as well......what you guys think...cuase if i do it near home it will most likely be putting the cab on the rear of the truck frame...on some plywood and 4x4's sitting on the pinch welds.....ideas?

·
i like to party
1,415 Posts
If its your first time, I say go for the hour away and shop with the lift. It will be much easier and less time consuming, and less hassle. the drive is worth it.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok so heres an update...back to the advice circle i go....the friend with the shop turned to be a bust, as he is swamped with work again...so im heading to my other friend locally with no lift....he has plenty of room in the shop...so remove the cab and put it on the back of the truck...or yank the motor...also is there a detailed write up of pulling the cab....im pulling the bed tomorrow night regardless of how i do the studs and gaskets and other crap.....cause i want to paint the frame...i know it iwll be easier to paint the front half of the frame with the cab off...but not sure what is more realistic.....

·
Registered
195 Posts
id pull the cab, i have a friend that can pull a cab in 30-45mins, he does studs/gaskets egr delete etc in an 8 hour day no need to leave your truck for a week LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts