Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently put my lie-o-meter back in my truck and after a couple days of sobering 14 and 15 mpg readings I got some in the 20's while cruising on the interstate. I dont really believe that my truck would get 24.5 mpg's...Im not that delusional. But if its showing that Ive gotta be getting 20 er a hair better. When I put it in I was seeing 15ish and then refueled and my hand calc was just that, 15mpg's. The lie-o is usually off a couple mpg's but mine also doesnt realize that im running 37's so that part is a wash.

Ill get some pics of the readings up when I get a chance. I do have 175 miles on this tank, or the odometer says so, and 3/4 of it left. My truck thinks its got 30.8 inch tires but they measure 36. So Ive gone quite a bit farther than 175 miles.

Im kinda excited about this since fuel is sooo expensive.

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive done it before...not for extended periods of time.

Right after servicing it, in the middle of summer, on ulsd I DO get 20 for a week or two.

My biggest point, bigmac, was at that particular point with the trip comp showing 24.5 for a couple miles and then going down to 19-21.5 I was getting more than say 15 mpg's. I know this simply because of going nearly 200 miles and having 3/4 of the tank left. The lie-o is only part of the equation. I guarantee that this tank, hand calc'd will average out to at least 18. If it doesnt Ill be surprised.

I have been driving watching the lie-o meter kinda like certain new trucks have driving coaches. Same method. When I put the thing back in I was showing around 15 and then began driving to see the numbers where I want them. The only time its pointless is in the morning after initial startup the fuel mileage is piss poor until the truck is driven 10 or 15 miles.

Have a little faith! Im not hotrodding the damn thing.

·
Learning the hard way
50 Posts
What were you doing, going down a steep hill with a tail wind? LOL. I've never seen mpg's above 18 on either of my trucks.

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope, going about 70 on an interstate that was completely flat in o/d on 37" tires with 3.73 gears...turning about 1700 rpms...

Driving a two lane highway, 55mph speed limit, today I was seeing 17 on the same meter...Got 33X mile on it and the tank is half full. Gotta be fairly accurate.

·
Registered
69 Posts
my 7.3 gets 18.2 hand calculated mpg on 12.5" lift 24"s with 40" tires

thats toppin it to the rim making a trip to my hunting camp 4.5 hours away then re-topping off.. taking the gallons from the second top off and dividing that # into the miles

so i believe with some mods you can get the mpg's similar to that or better on the 6.0

·
Registered
211 Posts
My lie-o-meter is usually off by 2.5 miles, but I've been averaging 19.5-20, back and forth to work, which is half stop and go, half highway. But, I'm not lifted or on big tires either.

My meter said 22.6 on way to work.

·
Registered
69 Posts
my lieometer gets up to the 25-26 range, but hand calculated 18.2 doing 75 mph. i think the tires have a major part to play in that because the engine is not in a bind with the performance upgrades and the speedometer is off but i go by GPS and at 75-77mph im only turning up around 1750-1800 rpm.

in my 6.0 stock i turn up around 2100 at that speed and not even close to the mpg, but working on that now... they just use that for a selling point because 25mpg is outrageous on a 7.3

·
Registered
63 Posts
Must be nice to have a lie-o-meter that is even close...best mileage I have ever gotten out of this truck was 15. That was on a trip overnight with no A/C, cruise set at 65...I got 750 miles out of the tank. Took 50 gallons to fill her up. And the funny thing is that my lie-o-meter showed 33.2 MPG! :hehe:

And my speedometer is spot on after he H&S reprogrammed it for my tires. Since the speedo is perfect, what it making the damn meter so far off? :confused:

Schmidtty

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mines never showed mileage that high or been off that far. Believe me it shows me #'s that are 11 and 12 too!!! If you never reset it they get funky sometimes. Mines seems to be more accurate with oversized rubber than on stock tires. Dont know what that has to do with anything.

Case in point, I put my 38r in on Saturday. Truck had 275miles on the trip odo and better than half tank of fuel. Put the charger in, testdrove it to get the engine warm and check for leaks. Then beat the crap out of it for an hour and used quarter tank of fuel. In 40 miles! Diesels are efficient if you arent throttling them.

If you cant get close to 20 on a stock truck w/zero lift and dinky tires you really dont know how to get decent fuel economy. If you havent owned a lifted diesel and kept meticulous fuel mileage records then I guess you've no dog in that fight either. Just because you cant doesnt mean somebody else has the same problem.

I can see the guy with the f450 having a little trouble but a 3/4 ton? I could accidentally get 20 in a sc/sb.

You guys just keep enjoying your poor fuel economy. My eclipse even running my high boost setting(adds more fuel in the map) gets 30mpgs. Not bad for a 500hp car that weighs 3600lbs and has 140k miles on it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts