Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
The Ontaribertan.
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I put my levelling kit on my '01 yesterday and I'm having some issues now. I couldn't drop each side of the axle far enough to get the spacers in, so I ended up dropping the whole axle at once. When I did, the whole axle moved a few inches to the driver's side. I was a pain in the ass to move back, and once I got everything bolted back in, the axle is somehow sitting 1-2 inches towards the drivers side. My driver's side tire sticks out about 1-2 inches further than it should and my pass tires in sucked in the same amount.

I know I must have somehow adjusted something when I dropped the axle, but I have no idea what. I never ran into this problem when I installed and took the kit of my '00. Are there any differences suspension wise between '00's and '01's that may have caused this?

If anyone has any ideas on what I may have done or what I need to do to fix this I'd love to hear hear em. As always, thanks for any input.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
That's pretty odd.

I just did my Icon kit and i ended up drop the hole axles (just disconnected both sides at the u-joints)

What a PITA it was to get the axle centered back up so i could get the mini spring pack in just the right place. I had to use a few jacks in the right places to push the axles where i wanted it to go.

Since the axles is really centered under the leaf springs I would look their first.

Did you shift or move anything other than the axle when you did the install?

·
The Ontaribertan.
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I thought it was pretty odd as well.

I know its a huge PITA getting the axle lined back up. I had 2 jacks and a come along trying to move it around. I didn't change or touch anything else that I know of. However, I found that it was way harder to move the axle on this truck than on my '00. When I got the axle bolted back in, the U-bolts were on a slight angle, because the axle was shifted. I'm just not sure how to fix it.

·
Super Hauler!
3,882 Posts
think what you need is a very common issue, its called a trac bar relocation bracket.

·
The Ontaribertan.
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmmm. Does it just move the trac bar bracket further down the axle?

Why would the kit have gone in fine on my '00?

Anyone else used this trac bar relocation bracket?

·
Registered
886 Posts
hmmm. Does it just move the trac bar bracket further down the axle?

Why would the kit have gone in fine on my '00?

Anyone else used this trac bar relocation bracket?
I had to get the track bar bracket after installing my leveling kit. If you run long enough without one it will destroy the leaf spring bushings. I had a buddy change the leaf springs twice before he figured it out.:pointlaugh:

·
The Ontaribertan.
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had to get the track bar bracket after installing my leveling kit.
Did you have an alignment issue like mine before you got the bracket? And it fixed it?

Where did you get the bracket and how much was it?

Thanks a lot guys.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Did you have an alignment issue like mine before you got the bracket? And it fixed it?

Where did you get the bracket and how much was it?

Thanks a lot guys.
When I installed mine I had the same problems you are having. Nothing was lining up, so I unhooked the track bar and everything lined right up. I got the bracket from Summit Racing.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Year/2001/Make/FORD/Model/F-250-SUPER-DUTY-PICKUP/?keyword=track+bar+bracket

You might be able to find a better price somewhere else, I had my truck tore apart and they were able to get it to me faster than anybody else.

·
The Ontaribertan.
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome. Thanks for the help, it sounds like this is my problem. I had a come along hooked to another car beside my truck and when I would crank it, it would pull the whole truck, not the axle, which makes sense that my trac bar was holding the axle.

How much work was the bracket to switch? Any ideas why I didn't have these problems on my old truck?

I knew I'd find an answer here.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Awesome. Thanks for the help, it sounds like this is my problem. I had a come along hooked to another car beside my truck and when I would crank it, it would pull the whole truck, not the axle, which makes sense that my trac bar was holding the axle.

How much work was the bracket to switch? Any ideas why I didn't have these problems on my old truck?

I knew I'd find an answer here.
On my truck the bracket was easy to install, the worst part was drilling a new hole. You already have the hard work done! The bracket is a piece of cake compared to installing the leveling kit. Not sure why your other install worked out and this one didn`t.

·
The Ontaribertan.
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Beauty, I appreciate the help. I'm relieved it's not that big of an issue after all. How did you know where to drill the hole for the new bracket though? Did you just ball-park how much the axle was out? Or is there some way to see that more accurately?

Once again, thanks for the fast help.

·
Registered
886 Posts
On my truck the bracket lined up with an existing hole, you just had to drill one more. My early 99 takes the bracket that bolts to the front axle. If I remember correctly the upper bracket simply replaces your existing bracket and bolts right on. Either way it is nothing compared to the work you`ve already finished.

·
The Ontaribertan.
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If I remember correctly the upper bracket simply replaces your existing bracket and bolts right on.
Oh its the upper bracket that it replaces? I was thinking it was the bottom, thats why I wasn't sure about the drilling. I'm gonna go ahead and order one up then. Once again, thanks for the help.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Oh its the upper bracket that it replaces? I was thinking it was the bottom, thats why I wasn't sure about the drilling. I'm gonna go ahead and order one up then. Once again, thanks for the help.
The bracket for my truck was the lower one. Some of the ones I`ve seen have been the upper one. I`m not sure why.

·
The Ontaribertan.
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I found a good deal on a Tuff Country bracket that replaces the upper mount. Hopefully all goes well. Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Just make sure the bracket you get is made for the exact lift you installed..or just get a adj track bar..much easyer and perfect fit. We have the bars.

Cary

·
The Ontaribertan.
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The bracket I ordered is for a 2.5-3.5 inch lift. Should that work fine? I have a 2.5 installed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts