Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
"Smoke A Lil Smoke"
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doesn;t matter what you tinted but you gotta put up pics. Nite nime pics lit up would be a bonus.
Just state how many coats you applied and if its cleared or not on top.
I think it would be a good comparison for people thinking of doing it including myself.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Mirror lenses, amber lens in head lights, Ford emblem:

Tail lights, upper cab light, Ford emblem:

I have no idea how many coats I put on(probably 3-4). I just sprayed until they were dark then I put a couple coats of clear over everything.

I don't have any night shots.

·
"Smoke A Lil Smoke"
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks great bud,thanks for sharing. I didn't even think of the ford emblem,that turned out great.

·
Registered
324 Posts
That looks pretty damn sweet. Where do I get some of this stuff?

·
GoNavy!
3,077 Posts
I don't have a pic of it but on the truck I just sold, I did the Ford emblem and it turned out pretty sharp. A little to purple but it still looked good.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Looks great bud,thanks for sharing. I didn't even think of the ford emblem,that turned out great.
The emblem was actaully an accident that turned out pretty nice.

That looks pretty damn sweet. Where do I get some of this stuff?
I assume you can get the nightshades stuff from any auto parts store. I've bought it from O'Reily's and Autozone. It shouldn't be too hard to find. I think I've even heard of people buying it from Walmart.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have pictures, but photobuckets is having issues at the moment. I did my tail, 3rd brake and mirrors with nite shades, but ended up having them redone by a shop. They came out pretty good with the nite shades, but had a slight orange peel texture to them when you got up really close. I'm very particular and wanted a smooth finish. No matter how many times I wet sanded and cleared over the texture would still show up. It cost me $40 to have them all done by a gun. IMO what it will cost you in supplies plus your time you're better off having them sprayed with a gun.

·
White lightnin'
78 Posts
I think they turned out pretty good for $12

·
Registered
129 Posts
I wet sanded with 2000 grit then used polish and a buffer..turned out like glass.

·
White lightnin'
78 Posts
how do yall get them so shiny??
All I did was use a scotch brite pad to scuff the taillights and lay it on pretty thick. They don't have clear on them yet. I also did my 3rd brake light but it came out dull so I will either have to redo it or clear it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
This is with the Niteshades.

With Lights On

With Lights Off

Side Markers

These are after I had them redone. The sun was bright this day so there's a lot of red coming through. I also had the lights on.

Park Lights on

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
This is with the Niteshades.

With Lights On

With Lights Off

Side Markers

These are after I had them redone. The sun was bright this day so there's a lot of red coming through. I also had the lights on.

Park Lights on
those look awesome very nicely done

·
Registered
454 Posts

·
Was PSD0389
2,601 Posts
Here is a couple Ive done, Ive done plenty more and every one was done with wetsanding and 3 coats of clear after the VHT was applied

Tail lights on David (straightstroken04)s truck with 2 coats of VHT

08 mirror lights and tail lights I did for someone with 3 coats of VHT

Set of jeep cherokee tail lights I did with 2 coats of VHT

Set of tails I did on my old 6.4 with 1 coat and set I did on Matt (97strokn&smokn)s dually with 2 coats on the 3rd brake light and 1 coat on the tails

Amber reflectors on my old 6.4 with 3 coats and then wetsand and 3 coats of clear

Set of tails that I did for the fummins with 3 coats of VHT

Ive done plenty more that I can post up as well if needed

·
The Stig
1,614 Posts
Matt_P Those looks great! So you did the VHT, how long did you let them set before wetsanding and clearing them? I want mine as shiny as yours!

·
Was PSD0389
2,601 Posts
Matt_P Those looks great! So you did the VHT, how long did you let them set before wetsanding and clearing them? I want mine as shiny as yours!
Thanks! Yep thats all VHT. I would let them sit for an hour before wetsanding them with 800 grit and then 1500 grit. Then clean them off and wipe them down with a tack cloth and do a coat of clear every 15 minutes and let dry.

I didnt use a clear from an auto parts store. It just never came off glossy enough so I use a clear that I order from automotivetouchup.com where I get my paint for vehicle codes when I do headlights or anything else. That clear is what gives it that real glossy appearance. The dupli color clear I used to use just didnt compare.

Matt, would you be interested in doing a set of tails and 3rd brake light for me?
Absolutely. Itll take me 2 hours tops to do and I can do it whenever

·
Registered
879 Posts
Have any more pics of your old 6.4 with one coat? I can't decide between one coat, or just having them black like on your Fummins.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts